SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sales from outside the UK

alan potts

I have a number of items to maybe pass on to get better use by others but am totally un-aware of what the rules are now for selling to the UK. I could of course just advertise sales to within the EU using the forum but that to me seems a bit unfair on my countrymen.

I have not decided what will be up for grabs but it will be decent quality stuff.

Alan

VAT if over £39 and Customs Duty if over £135, I think.

I bought a Vixen scope from Astroshop eu. and even with the delivery from Germany and the VAT and customs charges included, it was still £50 cheaper than buying from UK! Not that anyone in the UK had the scope I was after, they would have had to order it from Germany anyway. Come back Opticron, all is forgiven!🙂

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 1

Personal imports can be made up to £390 I think, so if your UK customer was to take delivery of them while on holiday, or if you were to be visiting UK and posted them over here, the goods could get across the border with no additional expense. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 15:14, bomberbaz said:

There are certain limits Alan, the link here explains them.

Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad: Tax and duty - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

But I think I am right in saying as long as you say they are sold for less than £39 there will be no duty.

This is the best source of information for matters of import/export.  Please be aware that rules do change, so it’s worth checking every time you buy into the country (Great Britain & NI) from overseas.  You might need to dig deeper into the links to find answers that relate more to the products you choose to buy in cross border. 

Currently, if items are “Made in GB/NI or EU” then they are not subject to import/export duty. (Current deal following Brexit).  Check with the supplier/manufacturer if unsure.  If you import into GB & NI and the item is made in the EU, make sure the inbound package clearly states the country of origin to ensure duty isn’t charged by the freight/courier company.  You can always claim it back if you get charged, but it’s only additional hassle.  

Good luck 🤞 

• Like 1