Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First scope for astrophotography - is this a good choice?

Steve143

Hi,

I've been looking at various refractors as a first scope for astrophotography and I'm leaning towards this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-evostar-72ed-ds-pro-ota.html 

I've already got a SW EQM-35 GOTO mount, but is this a good scope for a beginner in astrophotography? Or would you recommend something else? 

My main targets will be DSOs rather than planetary. 

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Steve 

Hi Steve,

I Have the SW Evostar 80 ED and it's extremely good for the price so I would imagine the same could be said for the 72.  What sort of camera are you using? I ask because (if you are using a DSLR) you may find an excellent alternative for your mount could be a good telephoto camera lens.

All the best,

Stu

Thanks Stu. 

I'm currently using a DSLR with a Samyang 135mm and a Canon 50mm. I've also been looking at the Evostar 80 ED as it's within my budget. I assume the longer focal length of the 80 ED will be suitable for galaxies as well as wide-field objects. 

Steve 

Choice of camera is significant because you need to be sure the chosen scope can cover its chip, which is to say that it should provide a clean image into the corners without elongated stars or other distortion. You might need a field flattener with this but they are available.

The mount is probably quite marginal for AP in terms of payload and tracking accuracy. Aiming for a lower resolution by going for a shorter focal length camera lens might make life easier, as Stu suggests. Prime lenses are the best bet.

Olly

Edit, your post above came in while I was typing, so you already know what the lenses can offer.  A focal length of around 400mm is not really a 'galaxy' FL though it will give a reasonable-ish scale on the visually large ones, M31, M33, M101 and IC342. After that they are going to look very small at much less than a metre or so. This will also bump up your resolution, meaning you'll need much higher tracking accuracy. This really means a new mount if we're honest.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Use Telescopius to get an accurate idea of framing for any camera/lens combination

Don't go too long on focal length or aperture if unguided on the EQM 35, it will only be an exercise in frustration with star trailing / duff subs

During my own personal research the Evostar 72ED comes highly recommended though this was conducted after I got my WO Z61 as I was looking for a larger aperture. I've only just started imaging properly during the past year or so with the Z61 but if you want an idea of what images you can do take a look at my Flickr (doimg). The 72 affords you slightly larger aperture for light gathering and a slightly longer focal length.

To give you an idea of image capture sizes (or visual) this website is useful: https://telescopius.com/

Edited by Elp

21 hours ago, SimonHutch said:

I have the 72ED with the OVL flattener and I’m really happy with the results, especially for the price. Use with a DSLR (mod) and either L-pro or L-extreme both 2” attached to the nose piece of the OVL flattener.

@Steve143 I’m VERY much new to this, but here is a shot with this scope and the same mount (EQM-35 PRO).  Taken in London. Canon 800D and L-Extreme.

About 1hrs worth of lights plus calibration frames but thought it might help see what the scope can produce from a beginner.

HTH

EDB44F8B-8933-4EC6-BAFB-A6DE5F290ADA.jpeg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SimonHutch said:

@Steve143 I’m VERY much new to this, but here is a shot with this scope and the same mount (EQM-35 PRO).  Taken in London. Canon 800D and L-Extreme.

About 1hrs worth of lights plus calibration frames but thought it might help see what the scope can produce from a beginner.

HTH

Thanks! That's a great image. 

4 hours ago, SimonHutch said:

HTH

Nice capture. Thought it was a DSLR lens for a minute. Also been considering an eqm35 for my Newtonian due to the size as a second setup.

Edited by Elp