SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M33 - First Light & First Image in Months!

daemon

Hello All,

This is my first image after a long time, thanks to a difficult chronic illness that I have recently been diagnosed with, which caused me to think that I might have to give up this hobby for good! Hopefully I am slowly learning how to manage the condition.

It was also first light for my new William Optics GT-102 scope that I acquired in the late summer last year.

I managed just a few hours on the nice clear evening of 5th January here on the UK South Coast.  So while the image is not so great it was very satisfying to capture and process after a very scary time with my health.

Below are the capture details. Clearly I'd benefit from more data, but for what I could manage with my condition I am reasonably satisfied considering that this was also the first image with a new rig. Bortle 4-5 skies probably helps:-

• Target: M33 Triangulum Galaxy
  • Scope: William Optics GT-102 with flattener.
  • Camera: ZWO ASI1600MM
  • Data: L - 13 x 120s; R - 8 x 120s; G - 8 x 120s; B - 8 x 120s (Total = 1 hour 14 mins)
  • Calibration: 20 Darks; 20 Flats (per filter); 20 Darks for Flats (per filter)
  • Processing: Stacked in APP, Processed in PixInsight

Thanks for looking!

Steve

M33_Triangulum.thumb.jpg.a134be5abaaa05108e5ab5d466f1d225.jpg

• Like 19

Having suffered from ulcerative colitis I know just how debilitating a chronic illness can be and how much it can detract from just enjoying life.  Good to hear you're getting on top of things and managing to carry on :).

Nice image - M33 is a tricky little so and so.  I have plans to revisit it this year... 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Having suffered from ulcerative colitis I know just how debilitating a chronic illness can be and how much it can detract from just enjoying life.  Good to hear you're getting on top of things and managing to carry on :).

Nice image - M33 is a tricky little so and so.  I have plans to revisit it this year... 

Thanks!! You have my sympathies. My rare meningitis is also an autoimmune condition, so something I need to learn to manage, as perhaps you have had to do.

Good luck on your next visit to M33! 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Servalan said:

Congratulations on your return to the lounge with this great first light image! Hoping you get to spend lots more time capturing data and enjoying your hobby. Wishing you good health and clear skies!

Thanks Servalan!! It's good to be back!  🙂