Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trickle-down astro tech? JWST and Formula 1

Zermelo

The latest posts on the JWST thread got me wondering about the relationship between the equipment we use and the kit developed by the biggest astro initiatives.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:
34 minutes ago, gilesco said:

It's going to be like collimating 18 telescopes based on the stack of images received from all?

Yes, but much more so as they can adjust the shape of each segment as well.

There are decades-old claims (some of them disputed) about ways in which the technology developed for the Apollo programme benefitted life in general. But more specifically, how many improvements to amateur astronomy equipment have been derived from advances made in recent projects like JWST, either on the ground or in space? In the same way that high-end features developed by F1 teams are supposed to "trickle down" into production vehicles.

One that comes to mind is Al Nagler using his experiences developing simulators for Gemini/Apollo to inform his subsequent design of wide-angle eyepieces.

We may never see an 8" Skywatcher with a bendable beryllium mirror. But are there other examples already out there?

13 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

The latest posts on the JWST thread got me wondering about the relationship between the equipment we use and the kit developed by the biggest astro initiatives.

There are decades-old claims (some of them disputed) about ways in which the technology developed for the Apollo programme benefitted life in general. But more specifically, how many improvements to amateur astronomy equipment have been derived from advances made in recent projects like JWST, either on the ground or in space? In the same way that high-end features developed by F1 teams are supposed to "trickle down" into production vehicles.

One that comes to mind is Al Nagler using his experiences developing simulators for Gemini/Apollo to inform his subsequent design of wide-angle eyepieces.

We may never see an 8" Skywatcher with a bendable beryllium mirror. But are there other examples already out there?

A few years ago Al Nagler was a guest speaker at the Hertford Astronomy Group, at the end of the session when most had gone I chatted with him whilst he was waiting for his car back to London.  We spoke about what eyepieces he would suggest for a minimal kit - he said about 3 for each scope unless the scopes were mostly the same. Then I asked him for a bit more detail about the cameras he briefly mentioned in his talk,  this turned into a discussion of tv camera lenses and why he was asked to do the simulation of the landing of the lunar module. It was the lens design that was his baby, but on a 'good for the time' camera. 

A nice genuine guy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would argue that the opposite is sometimes true, for example its mobile phones that are pushing the boundaries of CMOS camera development. Its also the case that mobile phones and mass market tech in general that have increased the use of robotic manufacturing facilities etc.

Alan