SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Red head torch too bright, any way to diffuse?

Can you not send it back to Amazon?

I bought a Petzl Tikka head torch from them, the red light is quite muted but it's OK when working on the scope. It has a white light mode so I switch to that if moving away from the scope.

• Like 1

@d-s-m Welcome to SGL. Please pop into the welcome section introduce yourself.

Masking the light using tape is a good idea.
If you are more technically inclined, it would be worth opening up the torch to take a look at the LED drive electronics.
Depending on the torch, it may be as simple as a resistor change. Though some use a constant current drive circuit the that can be more awkward to to tweak.
Some LED drivers are encapsulated (like the music circuits in greetings cards) so are impossible to see.
But until you take a look, you never know.

An alternative is to buy a cheap head torch that will already have lower output.
The torch you have looks to be a serious work or running light.
With 2x 18650 lithium cells is quite a lump on the head🤣.
The cheapies use smaller and lighter batteries. Sometimes even built into the small light.
I have a (white only) torch with the battery integral, all in the brim of a woolly hat. That essential garment for astronomy.

HTH, David.

• Like 1

If your head torch is too bright I recommend a red bucket placed over the head to shoulder level.

Your astro-companions will have hysterics and collapse laughing as you carom around the place and eventually fall in a ditch. Worth every penny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have what sounds like the same woolly hat as CB with integrated led. It's rechargeable and very convenient. The white light could be changed to red with judicious use of the OH's red nail varnish.....the more coats, the dimmer it'll get!😁

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

@Broadymike I'll try that, but slightly concerned it might end up melting due to the heat from the light?

@LaurenceT I actually bought it from eBay so not sure if I can return it as it works fine, but it's exactly the same as the one in the Amazon link. Really wish I'd have bought a smaller one now, but a number of reviews said it was "ideal for astronomy" which made me think it be a good purchase.

@Carbon Brush thanks for your reply, I have actually already posted a thread in the welcome section a few weeks ago. Changing out resistors is a bit beyond me, so think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy a smaller one.

@spacehopper that one you linked looks very similar to the one I've got? I'd be concerned about having the same problem with that one.

@Louis D thanks for the link, yes it does seem like the single banded ones in that list are less powerful than the type I have, which makes them better for astronomy.

I use and recommend one of the inexpensive Black Diamond range.   Most of their models offer infinitely variable brightness down to very dim, plus separate buttons for red or white light.

Best of all they can be set to always come on with the dimmest red light first whatever button you push - so no accidents! 

You do need to avoid the higher priced ones that have a battery check on starting up though.  This is because they light up an intense blue that'll ruin your dark adaption.  Additionally, those with the more costly Powertap feature can be knocked on accidentally.

For astronomy just look for models without a battery check and without Powertap technology.   BTW, the so-called Astro models aren't suitable for astronomy as they don't have a red light!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Diamond-Mens-Spote-Headlamp/dp/B07MP9KNNZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Diamond-Unisex-Adult-Cosmo-Stirnlampe/dp/B07S2ZMGMV?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, d-s-m said:

@Broadymike I'll try that, but slightly concerned it might end up melting due to the heat from the light?

I really wouldn't worry about that too much as LEDs create very little heat. Also looking at the one you have got if you stretched the tape over the opening rather than the lens of the light it would still work and would give an air gap so even less chance of any issues. I used packing tape over an old style torch without LEDs and had no issues even though it technically gets hotter. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, d-s-m said:

@spacehopper that one you linked looks very similar to the one I've got? I'd be concerned about having the same problem with that one.

Well, same sort of over the head design, but thats all.

The brightness level  on the HL4 is just right, and the lights can be tilted forward if required which is a very useful feature.

The red light is just a single LED, and is on a separate switch from the whites.

Trust me, you won't find a better head torch for astro.

My recommendation anyway.