Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

4th January 2022 - Finally! Decent skies

Spile

As the sun set, the crescent moon looked superb so I decided to set up my Dob first on the on the patio, then in the garden.

The first successful target was Mercury to the west of the moon. Too low for my telescope and always a challenge for me. I was delighted to find it with Binoculars; first from my first floor study and then from the garden. 

A quick look at the terminator of the crescent moon against a darkening (still blue at this time) sky.

It's becoming lower in the sky but I was able to see a couple of bands on Jupiter and three moons with Europa being very close to the planet.

I then headed towards the bottom left hand square of Pegasus to split the double Struve 20. A nice Y+Y and 3* rating,

Back to Jupiter, I headed East (left) and with a little star hopping, I was able to see the beautiful green/blue Neptune. At 200x or thereabouts it was a point of light but nevertheless very pretty.

Then onto the sinking Cygnus first to observe 16 Cygni, an easy Y+Y double rated at 3*. Then very close by I was able to make out the Blinking Nebula (NGC 6826).  It changed its appearance from a  rather dim star to a fuzzy ball and then back again, which is how it got its name.

I then headed up/North to Andromeda to attempt Mirach's Ghost (NGC 404). Not easy to see due to the glare of Mirach itself, but I eventually a small, faint and out of focus area became visible. By zooming in and moving the bright star just out of the field of vision, I was pleased to see this dwarf galaxy with averted vision.

It has been months since I was able to tick off so many targets and record them in my log https://astro.catshill.com/observing-log

• Like 10

Still catching up on all the great reports from the last few days, so good to see so many, thanks for sharing yours.

I need to add NGC 404 to a list, it’s not one I’ve tried for yet. Is the star rating something that you are doing for your own log? 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 08:30, Stardaze said:

Still catching up on all the great reports from the last few days, so good to see so many, thanks for sharing yours.

I need to add NGC 404 to a list, it’s not one I’ve tried for yet. Is the star rating something that you are doing for your own log? 

Yes it all started when I came across a Belgian site that rated double stars with a star rating. I also know someone who writes books on beer and has done the same for Belgian beers. Spooky coincidence so I do the same for my own targets including DSOs.