Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6 hours of observing including 2 Comets

Mark at Beaufort

At last a lovely clear night so I started with the Planets + Moon.

I set up the SvBony 90mm frac and set about observing Venus, Mercury, Moon, Saturn and Jupiter. I tried to get a better view of Europa and its transit but the 12" Dob was blocked by my rear fence.

I switch to the Dob for my main observing and started with the Comet 19P/Borrell in Cetus. Easy to find star hopping from Deneb Kaitos. I estimate that the Comet is about 9.5/10 mag.

I wanted to have a good look at NGC891 and its a lovely sight in the 13mm Ethos. Not seen NGC772 in Aries for a while so that was my next target. A nice view of M1. Then dropped down to M77. I wanted to view NGC1097 (C67) but again the fence got in the way - next time I will put the Dob on its water butt. Over to Orion and tried to see Horsehead (failed) but I could detect the Flame Neb. Down to M42 and took in the Trapezium using the 6mm Ethos - E and F seen. Further down to M79 and used my 9mm Myriad. Took in the Rosette Neb with O-III Astronomik filter and then over to M47 and M46 viewing the PN 2438.

I wanted another go at the Comet C/2019 L3 (Atlas) which I had seen a few days ago using the SvBony frac. It was a nice sight using the 13mm Ethos and I estimate it was mag 10. Whilst in Gemini took in the PNs NGC2392 and the pair NGC2371/2.

I now had been observing for nearly 6 hours so finished using the 15x70 Apollo bins taking in M44, M67, M1 and M33

• Like 11