NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where do I go from here? Eyepieces for 8" F5.9 Dob

Joacim

Hello,

I have been thinking to further upgrade my eyepiece and possible filter selection and wondering in wich direction I should go.

I have a 8" F5.9 dobson today. 

I found a used Baader mk IV Zoom 8-24 for cheap and bought a Explore Scientific 2" 32 mm LER 62 degree eyepiece wich I have been using alot. I really like the 32 mm.

I got the the 62 degree insted of 68 because of the price and because my wife has agnatism and uses glasses, I dont need the long eyerelif myself. She is content with watching the Pleiades  in the 32 mm from time to time :) 

Between the two eyepieces I have, I cover 37,5 to 150 x magnification, But I feel while the zoom is great at 8mm to 16 mm it lacks so much FoV at lower magnification so I'm tempted to got some more eyepieces.

I mostly been observing DSO and star clusters in my short time. I havent tried to watch the planets at all, just a quick peek when Jupiter was almost at the horizon and felt that I need atleast 1 highpower EP for that.

To my understanding to use a high power eyepieces and get good vision it needs to be really clear and stable weather so I guess I wont use that kind of eyepieces as  often as a low to medium power eyepieces and such don't want to spend as much.

The most expensive eyepieces like Telavue is out of question I fear.

I have been looking at the Explore Scientific 24 mm 68 and the 20 mm. Between the two I lean towards the 24 mm.

Do you have any tips if I should get 2 eyepieces more wich ones I should consider? 

Also I have started to read about filters and I really like to look at nebulas, so I want to get a filter for that. from what I read I think I should start with a UHC filter and then maybe get a OIII later on.

Most people recommand a quality filter like Astronomik, Lumicon, DNB and to get the 2" insted of 1,25". 

Is it really worth getting a 2", the Astronomik UHC 2" is almost double the price for the 1,25"?

Is a UHC for filter for say 60 Euro just crap and will I regret that I didnt get a Astronomik insted?

I live in lat 59 and have around bortle 4-5 at home, and 3-4 in reasonble drive if that matters in the choice 

Edited by Joacim

If eye relief is a thing for the wife, I'd get the 24mm APM UFF or one of the more recent brandings of the same optics.  The 24mm ES-68 doesn't have quite enough eye relief for eyeglass wearers, but the APM has plenty and is just as well corrected.

I'd probably get the 17.5mm Morpheus, though, since it would better complement the BHZ without being too close to the 32mm ES-62 in power.

Another long eye relief option with excellent optics at a reasonable price is the 22mm Omegon Redline SW and other brandings of the same optics.  I find it better corrected across the field than the 24mm APM UFF while showing slightly more true field of view, but not quite as good as the 22mm Nagler T4.  You do have to screw off the stiff eyecup to get enough eye relief for eyeglasses; but if you hover above it, lens scratching has never been an issue for me.  You could always replace the eyecup with the newer Morpheus eyecup which is sold separately, has the same thread, and is pliable enough to fold down flush.

You might get a 4.5mm to 6.5mm eyepiece to complement the BHZ at the short end.  The 5mm BST Starguider is pretty decent, and has almost enough eye relief for eyeglass wearers.  If you can suffer through the kidney-beaning, the 6mm Svbony Redline and similar are supposed to be pretty decent performers for cheap while having decent eye relief and a wide field of view.  If you throw eye relief out the window, orthoscopics are good at the shorter focal lengths.  If cost is not an issue, the 5mm Pentax XW is a great performer while being very comfortable for eyeglass wearers.

As for narrowband filters, I'd start with 1.25" filters to see if you like using them.  I've compared a Lumicon OIII with a Zhumell OIII, and it was no contest.  The Lumicon actually works to show otherwise invisible nebula like the Veil while the Zhumell acted like a weird green filter and didn't really help with the viewing.  The Zhumell OIII is more like a light pollution filter than an OIII filter.  However, I only paid $16 shipped for it on clearance, so I'm not too unhappy with it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Louis D said:

If eye relief is a thing for the wife, I'd get the 24mm APM UFF or one of the more recent brandings of the same optics.  The 24mm ES-68 doesn't have quite enough eye relief for eyeglass wearers, but the APM has plenty and is just as well corrected.

I'd probably get the 17.5mm Morpheus, though, since it would better complement the BHZ without being too close to the 32mm ES-62 in power.

Another long eye relief option with excellent optics at a reasonable price is the 22mm Omegon Redline SW and other brandings of the same optics.  I find it better corrected across the field than the 24mm APM UFF while showing slightly more true field of view, but not quite as good as the 22mm Nagler T4.  You do have to screw off the stiff eyecup to get enough eye relief for eyeglasses; but if you hover above it, lens scratching has never been an issue for me.  You could always replace the eyecup with the newer Morpheus eyecup which is sold separately, has the same thread, and is pliable enough to fold down flush.

You might get a 4.5mm to 6.5mm eyepiece to complement the BHZ at the short end.  The 5mm BST Starguider is pretty decent, and has almost enough eye relief for eyeglass wearers.  If you can suffer through the kidney-beaning, the 6mm Svbony Redline and similar are supposed to be pretty decent performers for cheap while having decent eye relief and a wide field of view.  If you throw eye relief out the window, orthoscopics are good at the shorter focal lengths.  If cost is not an issue, the 5mm Pentax XW is a great performer while being very comfortable for eyeglass wearers.

As for narrowband filters, I'd start with 1.25" filters to see if you like using them.  I've compared a Lumicon OIII with a Zhumell OIII, and it was no contest.  The Lumicon actually works to show otherwise invisible nebula like the Veil while the Zhumell acted like a weird green filter and didn't really help with the viewing.  The Zhumell OIII is more like a light pollution filter than an OIII filter.  However, I only paid $16 shipped for it on clearance, so I'm not too unhappy with it.

Thanks, some good alternatives to think about. I read about the Omegon Redline yesterday and it seems to be a gem. 

I dont need long eye relief and my wife dont really observe but sometimes she comes along for a few minutes and have a look. But I guess there is no drawback to buy EP with long eyerelief for myself anyway?

OK so I get a qualityfilter when the times come for that :) 

Baader Morpheus seems to be a great EP and definitly something I want try out in the future.

10 hours ago, Spile said:

I would recommend the matching Barlow for the BHZ IV. I had some great views of Jupiter this evening even tough it is getting low in the sky. 
I’ve tabulated the various combinations with my 8” Dobsonianhttps://astro.catshill.com/the-zoom-eyepiece/ 

Thank you, I havent consider the barlow. Didn't know there was a special one for the BHZ. I Never used a barlow lens though what is the drawback to use one insted of getting eyepieces? 

Great site you have by the way, your collimation guide has really helped me understand collimation better :) Seems to be I need to read all your posts

• Like 1

Obvs if you can afford a quality filter, then go for it.

However, I have the ES 2" UHC and it works for me!

I have seen the veil nebula. :)

What can't you see with the zoom that you think you will be able to with separate EPs?

I do have a 7mm and 6mm for the nice clear nights though. ;)

My thought was that I maybe could see some details or colour on Jupiter for example with a shorter focal length EP and I really like the wider FoV of my 32 mm so was thinking to get something similiar in the 20-25mm range as the zoom is really narrow at 24 mm. 

Best would be to try some different eyepieces out before I buy anything more, I just joined an club so hopefully I get som advice from there :) 

8 hours ago, Joacim said:

Thanks, some good alternatives to think about. I read about the Omegon Redline yesterday and it seems to be a gem. 

Omegon Redline = Astromania SWA 70 = Astrotech AF70 = Celestron Ultima LX = Arcturus Ebony = Olivon 70 = Skywatcher SWA = Telescope Service Expanse.  Some would be used, others new.  Shop for price.

However, the focal lengths all have different internal designs.

32mm--an average Erfle--best at f/8 or longer

22mm--very very good for a cheap price--a real bargain

17mm--the same as the 22mm, with just a *trace* of edge of field brightening.

13mm--Horrible.  The worst edge of field brightening I've ever seen in an eyepiece, with 50% of the outer field looking like you're looking through a nebula.

8mm, 5mm, 3.5mm.  Just average.  Baader Hyperions are better.  For f/6 and longer, they're OK.

• Like 3

When I tried out the Skywatcher SWA 70 eyepieces I got the 32mm, the 13mm and the 5mm. They turned out to be rather mediocre in general, in line with @Don Pensack's feedback and other reports that I've read.

I'm only sorry that I was not sent the 22mm at that time - I guess that one would have stood out somewhat amongst the others :rolleyes2:

The 17mm Redline has some chromatic aberration in the last 25% of the field along with astigmatism.  The 13mm has much more radial chromatic smearing, among the worst I've seen.  It makes stars into pretty rainbows, though.  The 22mm only has slight astigmatism in the last 5% to 10% of the field and no chromatic smearing.

On 05/01/2022 at 07:58, Joacim said:

I dont need long eye relief and my wife dont really observe but sometimes she comes along for a few minutes and have a look. But I guess there is no drawback to buy EP with long eyerelief for myself anyway?

OK so I get a qualityfilter when the times come for that :) 

Baader Morpheus seems to be a great EP and definitly something I want try out in the future.

Thank you, I havent consider the barlow. Didn't know there was a special one for the BHZ. I Never used a barlow lens though what is the drawback to use one insted of getting eyepieces? 

Great site you have by the way, your collimation guide has really helped me understand collimation better :) Seems to be I need to read all your posts

Thank you for the feedback. As for the matching Barlow, for me it means a continuation of the convenience aka a range of power options but this time extending to 338x with my setup.

On 04/01/2022 at 10:26, Joacim said:

Is it really worth getting a 2", the Astronomik UHC 2" is almost double the price for the 1,25"?

Yes. In my experience/opinion you will want a wider field of view with an 8" dob than you can get from any 1.25" eyepiece. If you have a 1.25"-2" adaptor that is threaded for filters you can use a 2" filter with 1.25" and 2" filters. If you buy a 1.25" filter, you will end up also having to buy the 2" filter later. 

The 24mm ES68 is a nice eyepiece, but in line with my comment above, I would also look at the 28mm or 35mm in that range. With your skies the exit pupil with either should be ok. For comparison my widest field is a 28mm 82° eyepiece. 

• Like 1

I sold my 8 inch dub recently. With my back issues I couldn’t get it in and out. I agree with you on higher magnification a pieces. Unless you have a good atmosphere and DNA is there a waste, plus you spend all your time chasing the object because they drift out of view really fast. I don’t remember what the degree of the images but it is less than 1°. From what I remember Jupiter would fly through the IP‘s in a matter of seconds. I never could get the fine adjustment focus because it was gone before I could get it. Also with the high magnification eyepieces,  vibration is a huge issue.

I do have an eyepiece that I am selling, I used it with my binocular telescope so I have two of them. My new binocular telescope comes with the similar IP‘s. It’s a 14.5mm Agena-Long Perng eyepiece. It was my favorite Eyepiece with my binocular telescope but my new Oberwerk came with a 14 mm so I don’t need two. I’m keeping one for my SkyWatcher 100 ED, It works really well with that telescope. With my do  I used a Celestron 8 to 24 mm zoom. It was pretty good but I always liked the individual pieces. Currently my favorite is a Pentax40 millimeter, it gives a pretty wide field of view. I use it mainly for Star surfing. I didn’t have it when I on the dob so I don’t know how it would work but it should give you a pretty good field of you. It’s heavy and expensive though.

Edited by Doasqa

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

Sorry, I can't resist.

This is a LongPerm:

https://www.hadviser.com/perm-hair/24/

and this is a Long Perng:

https://www.longperng.com.tw/goods.php?act=view&no=98

Thanks for the chuckle.😁

Ha ha, Everybody’s a comedian. I guess I have to correct the link that I posted I, guess the copy and paste didn’t work out properly. OK silly guy here’s what it is, and thanks for pointing it out for me. I can’t spell worth a darn and I know I can’t even copy and paste, hee hee. 14.5mm - Agena Long Perng. 

• 1 month later...

I run a 10 inch dob, and for low power wide angle stuff I really like my Orion Q70s in 26, 32 and 38mm.  Nice clear images and they do give you that lost in space feeling.  If I want more out of them a 2 inch 2x Barlow does the trick nicely.  The best part is they don't break the bank.