Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ST102 on AZ5 question.

Thinking of getting the AZ5 for my ST102 that I use for deep sky. Currently on EQ1 which I hate.  I do have some weight on the ep end with 2" WO diagonal and Baader zoom.  I know there is no such thing as a silly question here but I know I need a vixen type dovetail to mount the 102 to the AZ5 but do I simply keep it in its current rings then easily bolt onto the bar and which bar is recommended for this set up please?  If I have to start drilling the tube though I will give it a miss. 

Edited by Starslayer

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

….. and RVO.. ( mind you their shipping is outrageous for small items. )  Many thanks. Medium is what I need though yes? 

Edited by Starslayer

Harrison has a sensable flat shipping rate of £2.95 for anything. 👍🏻

Think the medium 21cm dovetail is the right one. Ypu could check to see how far apart the rings on you scope can be to double check. You could always just drill a new mounting hole if you wanted the rings closer together. 

Edited by johninderby

25 minutes ago, johninderby said:

. Ypu could check to see how far apart the rings on you scope can be to double check. You could always just drill a new mounting hole if you wanted the rings closer together. 

erm........ 

IMG_7861.JPG

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The short Astro Essentials dovetail would be the most practical as it has slots for the mounting bolts so you can have any spacing on the rings.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html

Yes looks good. Who needs green any way? 😇😉

The dovetail bar that came with my ST102 Startravel is 17cm long.  However I have modified it slightly to countersing a bolt, so that it would slide into a Celestron SLT clamp, and again with an extra hole so I could slide the tube forward to balance a DSLR on the back end.

Ok thanks all.

Santa is bringing me the Az5 mount with the more robust skywatcher steel .38 thread 1.75” tripod. I have ordered the short Astro bar separately.  All good. Plenty sturdy to carry the 102 for quick and easy set up. 

Edited by Starslayer
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

Good to know.  I think the tripod should be a good deal better than the aluminium one. 

Yes it is a big improvement on the aluminium tripod and allegedly able to take a 9kg payload but I think that would be pushing it.