Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

observatory base

David at Bythel Obs

I used a local bodgit builder. Yes I found later he cut corners! But it worked out OK.

All you need to do is specify how the build will be done and keep an eye on the builder. Ideally a builder you know from previous work.
In my case I split the work between me and the builder.

I dug the hole for the pier foundation. Obtained a length of ventilation duct for the pillar and some threaded bar to put in the pier top.
The top was capped by a (cut to size) paving slab with holes drilled for the threaded bar.
The builder did the concrete mixing and pouring. At the appropriate time I offered up the ventilation duct, ensuring it stayed vertical while it was filled.
This kept the foundation and concrete pier as one piece.
Finally dropping on the pier cap with threaded bar into the wet concrete.

After this I put some temporary packing around the pier base to ensure a space between the pier and shed foundation.
Then it was simple case of pouring a concrete base for the shed. Though you may choose to use other methods.

When looking into an observatory build, I found shed builders and general builders had absolutely no idea how to go on.
But once pointed in the right direction for non standard construction, there were no huge issues.

There are lots of guides now on SGL and generally online. When I was doing my build (2007) there was much less information available.

Good luck with your build. David.

• Like 1

It is a roll off shed.
The domestic authority deemed that a structure resembling a bottle recycling container would not be welcome in the garden.
I had worked out the centre of the lawn was the best location but had to settle for a shed at the edge.

Our hobby is a collection of compromises-

Wants very rarely match what you can afford/ source/ wangle so, along with having to settle with a few inches less in aperture, or how many elements your frac can have, as an obsy/ pier owner, the edge of the plot is where you go........

• 2 months later...
On 03/12/2021 at 11:12, Nigella Bryant said:

Congratulations! I am planning to build a base similar to this, so grateful to see what you have done. Your walls rest directly on the joists with the decking and interior floor built up around.  As opposed to setting the observatory on top of a deck. Have you had any issues with rain water ingress?  I too am in Devon so waterproofing is a prime concern. And...is that 300mm drainage pipe for the pier? Looks great.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dogstar45 said:

Congratulations! I am planning to build a base similar to this, so grateful to see what you have done. Your walls rest directly on the joists with the decking and interior floor built up around.  As opposed to setting the observatory on top of a deck. Have you had any issues with rain water ingress?  I too am in Devon so waterproofing is a prime concern. And...is that 300mm drainage pipe for the pier? Looks great.  Thanks.

Hi Dogstar45, yes, the dome wall's rest directly on the first set of joists. Then I built inside with joists and flooring and decking outside. The reasoning behind this is not to get ingress of water on the inside flooring. I can confirm that no water ingress has occurred even during storm Eunice. I had to get the flooring up a few months ago to install new eqmod cable for my new Eq8 R pro mount head and there was no water or wet under the flooring. It was completely dry. That did surprise me as I'd expected some wet to be around the blocks that the joists stand on. 

Yes, the pier is built with 300mm drainage pipe and cables run up in that underground using plastic pipe. I used armoured underground cables which is a must. 

Hope your build goes well and document it for us all on SGL.