SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

152mm f8 TS refractor first (and second) light.

GazOC

In short, I'm pretty impressed. The false colour is certainly there but nothing too objectionable (to my eyes), both Jupiter and, to a lesser extent, Saturn showed CA but not enough to make me reach for the minus violet filter.

The focusser is good for a R&P, better than the Skywatchers, but not a patch on a Crayford as you would expect, the lens cell is collimatable but the dew shield is way too short, I can see it being a problem in the winter,

I noticed the difference between the 6" and my 5" frac on globs and galaxies straight away, (esp the globs) but on Jupiter/Saturn it was difficult to tell them apart, maybe a little more colour but nothing more than that.

In short, I'm keeping the scope but I wouldn't recommend it as an upgrade from a 5" refractor especially if planets are your thing.

Gaz

I'm thinking about a frac for Double star work.

The focal length of the TS is similar to my newt and the lack of CO makes the difference in aperture less important.

Could you look at some doubles and let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Ian

Archived