Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece Table

Mr Spock

Having gotten fed up with trying to either reach under the tripod to the spreader/eyepiece holder, or forgetting which pocket has which eyepiece, I came up with this. Knocked up from some spare bits of wood this morning. It's not finished yet but I think it serves its purpose.

149306481_DSC_0156_DxO800.jpg.0137be0f9a32726b71a3c2b2f15226ae.jpg

• Like 8

Nice work. I simply put this on a regular table 😀 one advantage of this is I can keep the lid shut with a hand warmer inside. No dewy eyepieces! It needs a red light that comes on when open.

case_what_next.thumb.jpg.958abc9e709dadca40d0385eb455a448.jpg

Edited by Ags
  • Like 3

One minor snag. In use I can't grab the orthos with gloves on. I have to push them up from underneath!

One advantage of the 2" holes is if I'm not using 2" eyepieces the LVW 1.25" main body slots nicely into the holes.

@Mr Spock one thing about your table. How stable is it? It looks like a bump from the left (in your picture) could send the eyepieces scattering.

Regarding picking up the orthos: it would take a bit of work to make it look nice, but add a ring of wood around those holes to raise the eyepieces 5 mm?

Edited by Ags

Very good! And a nice idea, basically an observation table.

I’m relatively new to this but there’s  hardly a  nighttime session where I don’t drop something. There’s got to be a better way, although simply being a bit more organised does help.

Out of interest. Where do people put eyepiece, focuser & finder caps? I’m forever searching for those on the dark. Sometimes trying to shove different size caps from one make of eyepiece onto another. 

• 1 month later...
On 24/11/2021 at 20:02, PeterStudz said:

Very good! And a nice idea, basically an observation table.

I’m relatively new to this but there’s  hardly a  nighttime session where I don’t drop something. There’s got to be a better way, although simply being a bit more organised does help.

Out of interest. Where do people put eyepiece, focuser & finder caps? I’m forever searching for those on the dark. Sometimes trying to shove different size caps from one make of eyepiece onto another. 

I just take my eyepiece case outside. I've memorised which EP goes on which recess. After taking the EP out, I put the caps into the same hole. Thus, even without much light, I know what goes where and don't mix up the caps.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/11/2021 at 12:44, Mr Spock said:

Having gotten fed up with trying to either reach under the tripod to the spreader/eyepiece holder, or forgetting which pocket has which eyepiece, I came up with this. Knocked up from some spare bits of wood this morning. It's not finished yet but I think it serves its purpose.

149306481_DSC_0156_DxO800.jpg.0137be0f9a32726b71a3c2b2f15226ae.jpg

These ortho holes scream for 3 of these:

E597C609-9CE7-42A8-A6A4-EBF13F3F90B1.jpeg

On 24/11/2021 at 20:02, PeterStudz said:

I go back in the morning to pick them up off the grass!

M

• Haha 4