SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NINA : set cooling intervals in sequencer?

FrenchyArnaud

Hi all! I am experimenting with NINA and plate solving and the whole thing is very, very compelling. However, as I use a stock DSLR I would love to be able to set an interval in between frames so that my DSLR sensor can cool a bit and the shutter is not battered. Like, 150 seconds expo, 20seconds cooling, 150 seconds expo etc.  

I have been unable to find how to do that? Considering a £6 intervalometer can do it, I am sure it's possible but I can't figure it. Anyone knows? 
Thanks!

Edited by FrenchyArnaud
spelling

If you are dithering between subs you can set a post dither settle time in NINA, which has to elapse before the next sub starts. This would normally be a few seconds but I don’t see why it can’t be extended to 20 or 30 seconds.

The only problem is if the mount has settled down within that time it may start the next sub, rather wait for the designated time interval to elapse.

• Like 1

Ok, so after HOURS of digging, googling and reading the doc... Nope, not possible directly. It looks like a big oversight to me from the devs, I am dropping them an email. I am left with two choices : 

1) as suggested, dithering on every frame and set a settle time for the mount that is much more than needed;
2) switch to APT.

I am installing APT and will try both as soon as I have a tiny bit of a pretend of a sky - we are closing in on a month with 100% overcast so I have no idea when that will be! 

EDIT - After a quick chat with the devs, I learnt that the sequencer has been upgraded for this in the V2 currently beta, which I will test immediately! When the beta becomes main, the sequencer should therefore allow precisely that. 

Edited by FrenchyArnaud
Additional info came up.

On 16/11/2021 at 22:26, FrenchyArnaud said:

Ok, so after HOURS of digging, googling and reading the doc... Nope, not possible directly. It looks like a big oversight to me from the devs, I am dropping them an email. I am left with two choices : 

1) as suggested, dithering on every frame and set a settle time for the mount that is much more than needed;
2) switch to APT.

I am installing APT and will try both as soon as I have a tiny bit of a pretend of a sky - we are closing in on a month with 100% overcast so I have no idea when that will be! 

EDIT - After a quick chat with the devs, I learnt that the sequencer has been upgraded for this in the V2 currently beta, which I will test immediately! When the beta becomes main, the sequencer should therefore allow precisely that. 

The beta is very stable, so don't feel like it is a big risk using that.. It could be in beta for quite a while.