Jupiter 70mm refractor Oct 2nd

neil phillips

7 hours ago, Nik271 said:

That's pretty close to what I can see visually on Jupiter  this season even with much bigger scopes.

Always believed a lot more can be seen via camera than through the scope. This kind of confirms it to me Nik. In reference to 

even with much bigger scopes

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

On 08/11/2021 at 06:20, Pete Presland said:

Just shows what can be achieved with a modest aperture in the right hands. A fine image especially considering the lateness in the Jupiter season as well.

Very underrated beginner scopes these Pete. The nearly F13 Focal length really helping the lens perform well at only 70mm. Think of the price tags of those 80mm F15 Achromatic refractors. And you have these largely ignored because i guess people think they cant possibly be any good. Well i beg to differ. The results i get are consistently good. Got mine for £39 

Now thats eye opening. Should have got two when i had the chance. I like them that much

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AstroGee said:

I might end up getting one of these. Very nice.

Though only downside is resolution. But the amount of people i see with premium 60, and 70mm EDs with price tag to match. that although much better colour corrected granted. As far as sharpness per inch per pound here. I am a fan. Check my recent lunar taken with this. Low elevation. poor seeing in increasing morning daylight. Lunar low down is just not affected with this size optic. The air cells are small. So even low down the moon looks good 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Thanks 1

I'll check that out, thanks. 

As I'm just starting out, with imaging, tweaking, processing to learn, I will get many miles out of something cost effective.

I posted some images recently with an 800mm f11 camera lens, which is diffractor based. I've improved on those straight away so a cheaper optics won't be holding me back

1 hour ago, AstroGee said:

I'll check that out, thanks. 

As I'm just starting out, with imaging, tweaking, processing to learn, I will get many miles out of something cost effective.

I posted some images recently with an 800mm f11 camera lens, which is diffractor based. I've improved on those straight away so a cheaper optics won't be holding me back

Try and get it cheap if you can. thats the beauty for me

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Very underrated beginner scopes these Pete. The nearly F13 Focal length really helping the lens perform well at only 70mm. Think of the price tags of those 80mm F15 Achromatic refractors. And you have these largely ignored because i guess people think they cant possibly be any good. Well i beg to differ. The results i get are consistently good. Got mine for £39 

Neil's image with the 70mm is excellent for a telescope of that aperture.

Before you all rush out to buy a cheap small refractor 🙂, I should point out that some years ago I bought a 70mm supermarket refractor (the one in my signature image), and I eventually realised, after buying other instruments, that the objective was rubbish (though other people claimed good experiences with the same Lidl bargain model).

I still have a 70mm vintage brass refractor which performs superbly when rigged and mounted for astro use but I have not had it outside for two years, as it does nothing I can't do with my 127mm Mak, which is much easier to manage and also slightly lighter in weight.