Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet Lulin - maybe.

ashenlight

Hi all,

Around 10pm last night a lovely gap in the clouds drifted its way over my house, so I headed out to the garden with my binos (in my pyjamas and dressing gown I hasten to add).

Leo was charging his way across the sky, so with little time to spare, I had a quick look at Saturn, took a deep breath, and headed over towards Regulus to try and spot Lulin. I must admit, I struggled at first. The only 'thing' I could find out of the ordinary in that area of sky was a star-like object, with no tail, but a misty halo around it. It was about two thirds of the way from Saturn to Regulus. Going on other people's reports, I'm guessing this must have been Lulin?

West-ish of Regulus I also spotted a faint patch of nebulosity (would this be the right word?). Looking on my star charts, I really can't see what it would be. I found it easier to view when I looked slightly to the side of it aswell. It was like the faint cloudiness that surrounds M42, but slightly oval shaped.

Orion is starting to vanish fast below the horizon now which I find quite sad - it's a lovely sight in the winter sky. Rest assured, it'll be back next year!

I observed Castor and Pollux again, I love looking at the colour difference and managed to confirm my sighting of Capella in Auriga. Saturday night I wasn't too sure if I was looking at the right thing, but with the help of my star chart I was able to confirm that I was right! I also got a look at 'the kids' so I am feeling quite satisifed now. Good job really, as cloud is forecast for at least the next few days - how disappointing.

Hope you've all managed to have a look at Lulin so far, though I know the cloud has been pretty bad everywhere. If any of you saw a similar sight to me, in a similar position, I'd like to know. I'm still a bit dubious as to whether it actually was Lulin.

Clear skies (and fingers crossed),

Amanda

Amanda, sounds like a good session in the gap, very much like mine. I'd say you saw Lulin there, sounds about the same place I saw it. Not sure on the misty patch... There are 3 Mag 9 galaxies to the west of Regulus... It may have been one of those you saw, although it will depend how far to the west.

I found it - most definitely. At about 21:30 tonight, it was about 5° west of Regulus and close to the 6th mag. star 23 Leonis - and the comet itself appears to be about mag. 5.5 (couldn't possibly be one of the field galaxies, not at that brightness, anyway there isn't one at that spot). I could just make out the wispy tail - I think :lol: (seems to be pointing back east towards Regulus).

At last,comet lulin.

10x50's first. Found M44 and just went South and East. Not easy due to a bright Moon.

Just a fuzzy blob. Couldn't make out a tail at all.

Got the GT100's out and it was just a bigger fuzzy blob. The Moon was not making it any better.

At least I didn't miss it.

Glen.

Oh no! Judging what Amanda said I saw the nebulosity not the comet on Monday.:lol:

Lousy light pollution in London meant all I could see was a smudge like a tiny cloud that wouldn't budge. Looks like it was a galaxy rather than Lulin.

So it is definitely star-like with a bit of a halo - can anyone confirm that?

Looks like I will be out in the cold again tonight - won't give up, going to crack this one!

AG

Oh no! Judging what Amanda said I saw the nebulosity not the comet on Monday.:lol:

Lousy light pollution in London meant all I could see was a smudge like a tiny cloud that wouldn't budge. Looks like it was a galaxy rather than Lulin.

So it is definitely star-like with a bit of a halo - can anyone confirm that?

Looks like I will be out in the cold again tonight - won't give up, going to crack this one!

AG

Alex I would say you are more likely to see the comet then a galaxy form light polluted London.

It looks like a very small fuzzy DSO. Visually the tail is getting very dim so you might not spot this.

Archived