Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ganymede transit now - 8.30pm 11th October 2021

Stu

There is a very nice transit of Ganymede going on right now. It’s lower albedo means it shows up clearly, almost like a shadow against the brighter surface. Callisto is much the same as I recall. These two orbit less frequently so these events at a convenient time are comparatively rare. Well worth a look 👍. I’ve got the 130mm f6 out and it’s looking v nice.

• Like 4

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm pretty sure I've just about spotted it with an Altair 60mm triplet at *105. I would not have recognised it for what it was without your post...Ganymede looks like a small stain just off the equatorial line. Going back to check while the seeing is playing ball..

• Like 1

Seeing a bit iffy but looking nice when it settles for a bit. A dark speck just up from the SEB about 3/4 of the way across. Unfortunately it'll be behind a streetlight for the shadow transit.

Andy

Edited by Dark Vader
  • Like 1

Caught it on and off in 120mm achromat. Really showed me the value of patiently waiting for the seeing to come and go. Seeing it leave the disc of Jupiter was amazing, thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 22:04, rl said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm pretty sure I've just about spotted it with an Altair 60mm triplet at *105. I would not have recognised it for what it was without your post...Ganymede looks like a small stain just off the equatorial line. Going back to check while the seeing is playing ball..

Good stuff. I’ve seen shadow transits in a 60mm Tak before, not easy necessarily but certainly doable.