Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Travelling abroad with full setup...

Hi all! I'm moving to Australia for a year in 10 days and I'm panicking a bit about what to do with my setup! Anyone here got any advice/words of wisdom/general experiences of their own to share? 

I'm really struggling with what to take/what to leave and how to to pack, especially as I obviously have non-astro items in the equation as well. I have 7kgs hand luggage, which I can juuuust about squeeze my WO Zenithstar 73 into, with its padded foam case, deidcated flattener, my Canon 600d and my guide cam/guide scope combo. 

I'm torn on how to pack extras, as I am not just imaging based but observing too - I have two eyepieces I desperately want to take, a nice diagonal, and an Asiair Pro. I also have a Nikon d3400 with two lenses. Do you think they'll be safe if padded out with foam/bubble wrap and stored in a hard case suitcase surrounded by clothes? 

My Skywatcher EQM-35 pro is being split between two suitcases - the mount in one, the tripod in another. My power pack is staying home and I'll buy another out there.

I don't really want to leave my existing setup behind to buy a new one out there, not with price differences, stock issues and besides the second hand mount, all my equipment is less than a year old. I was fine when I had a flight with 12kgs hand luggage! But 7kg is just mean, and I'm worried about my glass items 😅

Edited by LoveFromGallifrey

I spent 3 months in India last year. I took my Tak FC 76 DCU, eyepieces and small bits and pieces in a photo backpack on the planes (Mcr to LHR, LHR to Bangalore). The tripod and mount were in checked luggage. 

Done similar to US and Europe destinations 

• Thanks 1

I can’t remember the weight, but it was within the limits of BA carry on.

This is the model: https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-essentials

you should check if it’s the right size for your scope.

I never doubted that it was up to the job. You can get cheaper jobs, but they might not be as good. I did use a laoptop backpack with a padded camera accessory pack inside 

It has space for other items like my laptop and all the travel paperwork.

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I can’t remember the weight, but it was within the limits of BA carry on.

This is the model: https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-essentials

you should check if it’s the right size for your scope.

I never doubted that it was up to the job. You can get cheaper jobs, but they might not be as good. I did use a laoptop backpack with a padded camera accessory pack inside 

It has space for other items like my laptop and all the travel paperwork.

Thanks for the link! I'll have to have a solid think now about what I take. The backpack certainly would be lighter than my hard shell suitcase, so it's definitely an option! I never even thought about it.

11 minutes ago, LoveFromGallifrey said:

Thanks for the link! I'll have to have a solid think now about what I take. The backpack certainly would be lighter than my hard shell suitcase, so it's definitely an option! I never even thought about it.

I bought a Pelicase 1510 a few years back with the intention of using it as carry on (it’s designed to fit within the baggage dimensions). I then worked out that the case itself took up way too much of the weight allowance, and switched to a Thinktank Airport Accelerator, I guess very similar to the one Jeremy linked to:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/think-tank-airport-accelerator-1594156/?account=298-171-7186&campaign=PPC+-+DSAs+-+Bags&group=DSAs+-+Bags+-+ALL&mkwid=s_dm&pcrid=488255689191&kword=&match=b&plid=&pgrid=18257005861&ptaid=dsa-362459444761&si=&gclid=CjwKCAjwtfqKBhBoEiwAZuesiCyTyQja7Sq8LN1cElsskSqoN8kc8Q1ONrlREIUKhJsnM5SfdK7DYBoCDm0QAvD_BwE

I’ve taken my Tak FC100DC abroad a couple of times now with no problem, it feels quite safe in there and I had plenty of room for accessories, eyepieces and a mount. The only thing I put in check in baggage was the tripod. With a smaller scope you would have more room for cameras etc.

There are some threads on it here:

Hope there are some useful bits of info in there somewhere.

I worked in SE Asia for a number of years. If your not moving about ship it out, its cheap and you can insure it.  Pack it up leave it with a friend the when your ready have it sent.

If you wont do that

I too have brought a tak100mm refractor with me on holiday but only for visual they break down into manageable bits. Put the lens and focuser in zip lock bags. use the space in  the tube for socks. Dont be afraid of doing it. 

Carry your dslr and lenses in your hand luggage takes the weight out of you cases. 

also make sure you have copies of your receipts for you equipment customs can be a pain when you bring a lot of stuff for long term stay. make sure you know the overall value and any limitations on the value of goods. 

Edited by StarryEyed

On 07/10/2021 at 20:59, Stu said:

I bought a Pelicase 1510 a few years back with the intention of using it as carry on (it’s designed to fit within the baggage dimensions). I then worked out that the case itself took up way too much of the weight allowance, and switched to a Thinktank Airport Accelerator, I guess very similar to the one Jeremy linked to:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/think-tank-airport-accelerator-1594156/?account=298-171-7186&campaign=PPC+-+DSAs+-+Bags&group=DSAs+-+Bags+-+ALL&mkwid=s_dm&pcrid=488255689191&kword=&match=b&plid=&pgrid=18257005861&ptaid=dsa-362459444761&si=&gclid=CjwKCAjwtfqKBhBoEiwAZuesiCyTyQja7Sq8LN1cElsskSqoN8kc8Q1ONrlREIUKhJsnM5SfdK7DYBoCDm0QAvD_BwE

I’ve taken my Tak FC100DC abroad a couple of times now with no problem, it feels quite safe in there and I had plenty of room for accessories, eyepieces and a mount. The only thing I put in check in baggage was the tripod. With a smaller scope you would have more room for cameras etc.

There are some threads on it here:

Hope there are some useful bits of info in there somewhere.

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I'm working a streth of 13h nights (blech). 

Thank you so much for the advice! I wound up buying a lovely small padded camera backpack, which fits an astonishing amount of gear for its small size. It fits the dimensions of my "additional carry on camera bag" that the airline let's me carry as well as my 7kg bag, and I have managed to safely cram my OTA, flattener, star diagonal, zoom eyepiece, guidescope, guide cam, and my dedicated DSLR into it along with a couple of filters. It's perfect! The padding seems to work well, it's small enough to safely ride on the seat next to me (flight will have plenty of extra seats available) so I can grab it and hold it safely if we meet turbulence. I'm over the moon with it!

Thrilled with all of you guys on here, I'd never have thought of a camera backpack myself 😁 thanks so much! 

Edited by LoveFromGallifrey
  • Like 2

On 07/10/2021 at 21:20, StarryEyed said:

I worked in SE Asia for a number of years. If your not moving about ship it out, its cheap and you can insure it.  Pack it up leave it with a friend the when your ready have it sent.

If you wont do that

I too have brought a tak100mm refractor with me on holiday but only for visual they break down into manageable bits. Put the lens and focuser in zip lock bags. use the space in  the tube for socks. Dont be afraid of doing it. 

Carry your dslr and lenses in your hand luggage takes the weight out of you cases. 

also make sure you have copies of your receipts for you equipment customs can be a pain when you bring a lot of stuff for long term stay. make sure you know the overall value and any limitations on the value of goods. 

Hi! Thanks so much for the advice! I have heard horror stories about shipping from friends, even non-delicate items that were well packed have arrived heavily damaged - so I was worried about shipping tbh. But I'm also moving around a great deal once I get there, so something easy to cart around is really ideal. I wound up buying a solid little camera backpack that fits the airline's baggage restrictions for an "additional camera/laptop/ladies' handbag" that I checked with the airline, and this second bag isn't weighed or counted as part of the 7kg limit. 

It's perfect. Fits a ridiculous amount of things in it and is still easily wearable - my OTA, flattener, main DSLR, zoom eyepiece, star diagonal, guidescope and guide cam, filters and more. It's well padded so I'm feeling good! It's all insured regardless as part of my travel insurance, I've specifically taken out "gadget" insurance on it and confirmed its covered in the policy. 

And a massive thank you for the tip about the receipts! I definitely have them in the original case for the scope, I'll be sure to pack them all before I go 😃

I've worked Expat for 20 years so have some familiarity with the best way to travel with luggage.

1: Carry the most valuable items in cabin luggage (cameras, lenses etc). Use a lightweight trolley bag, some cabin bags can eat up 1/3rd of your luggage allowance. Check the cabin rules carefully, they exclude 'blunt objects' ie anything that could be viewed as a weapon and keep an eye on lithium batteries and what the current rules are for transport. You can carry a lot in jacket pockers ;) 

2: You are usually allowed a second small bag for laptop or camera. I have a small shoulder back and I keep phones, tablet, passport, wallet etc in that. It's clipped to a belt loop so I don't leave it somewhere

3: I've carried most anything and everything in checked baggage over the years. Speakers, amps, tracker, tools, camping gear, Ducati spare tire, coffee, brewing equipment (got nabbed for that lol) you name it. Never had a case go missing (touch wood) and never insured. With valuables above the airline coverage I would consider insuring expensive gear though. I usually pack any electronics or more fragile items carefully, surrounded by clothing zip packs. These act as very good shock absorbers. Bubble wrap and ziplocks are useful. 

4: You cabn usually pay a supplement to check in an additional case if you are flying economy. Premium economy and business usually two checked in cases included.     

Safe travels

Edited by 900SL