NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Windows 10 updates

david_taurus83

I have W10 Pro on my mini PC mounted to the scope. In 2 out of the last 3 imaging nights, it's decided to update and restart after 2am. Very frustrating when I have instructed NINA to carry on until 4am! I have got all the settings for auto updates switched to off in the control panel so why is it doing it? I'm also worried about the affect this has on my camera. I've just had it back from Atik for a service/sensor clean as the sensor had residue on it from where it frosted up or had dew on it from the previous owner and concerned the sudden PC shutdown has on this.

Anyone figured out how to stop the auto updates? I'm quite happy to update Windows, just not when I'm imaging!

27 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Have you set  your 'Active Hours' to be during the night time hours ? also under advanced option make sure you've un-set "Restart this device..."  as a final kludge, you can switch-off / disable "Windows Update" service....

I'll have a look for Active Hours, thanks. I don't want to disable the updates completely, just don't want it to restart of its own accord. 

W10 updates are a pain, the "Microsoft knows best" attitude is irksome. If all the suggestions above fail, one I have tried (suggested on here, can't remember off who) is to set the Internet connection to "metered". They know that downloading updates over a metered connection could cost arms & legs so it stops them happening unless you authorise it or set it off "metered".

EDIT: does it actually need an Internet connection when imaging? If not, just turn it off.

Edited by wulfrun

Under Settings/Updates/Advanced Options, there is the 'Pause updates' option where you can delay any updates being applied for up to 35 days by setting a date where they will resume. I think this option is only available with Win 10 Pro and not Home, so that option should be there for you.

Alan