NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion is back

Nik271

I got out quite early today round 5:30am and was surprised to see Orion was glorious in the south, my first view of it after April. The sky was getting light but I could see hints of M42 just with my eyes and when I looked wtih my 15x70 bins the nebula was spectacular among the many stars of the belt and sword. I've seen it so many times but never tire of it.  Lower down Sirius was shining so brightly I first mistook it for an approaching airplane.

Winter is coming... (in a good way!)

Edited by Nik271
typo corrected
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Nik271 said:

I got out quite early today round 5:30am and was surprised to see Orion was glorious in the south, my first view of it after April. The sky was geting light but I could see hints of M42 just with my eyes and when I looked wtih my 15x70 bins the nebula was spectacular among the many stars of the belt and sword. I've seen it so many times but never tire of it.  Lower down Sirius was shining so brightly I first mistook it for an approaching airplane.

Always nice to see Orion back in the skies. It’s also surprising when you see it in the early morning, not necessarily expecting to. Fingers crossed (as always!) for some nice crisp, clear winter nights!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nik271 said:

I got out quite early today round 5:30am and was surprised to see Orion was glorious in the south, my first view of it after April. The sky was getting light but I could see hints of M42 just with my eyes and when I looked wtih my 15x70 bins the nebula was spectacular among the many stars of the belt and sword. I've seen it so many times but never tire of it.  Lower down Sirius was shining so brightly I first mistook it for an approaching airplane.

Hi Nik247. Great to hear Orion is on the way back! Can't wait to observe that spectacular constellation again 🌟

• Like 1

Yep, yesterday after an evening/ night of total cloud cover I gave up & went to  bed, woke around 3:30am because my feline despot was using me as a trampoline to try and reach a crane fly which was whirring above the bed, I looked out, and there was a 50% clear sky (AAAARRGH! Why now ?!) Orion just rising above the buddleia ....

I'm quite enthusiastic, but the idea of getting up, dressed, and going out with a 'scope or binos did not even cross my mind

Heather

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave scutt said:

As a newb still and only got my first scope recently I haven't had the opportunity to see orion through a scope yet but can't wait to see orion nebula 

The dob will give you a great view. Orion really is a bright, spectacular target and easy to find. For those reasons it's probably the most photographed deep sky object too.

• Like 1