Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focuser for FC100DL options

Hi. 

Recommend me 3 options, starting with the relatively low cost one, for three SHORT (so i can reach focus with Baader Cool Ceramic 2 "and Maxbright II) quality focusers (and associated connecting flange) that fit perfectly on the FC100DL.
They must have macro and micro movements, fluid, and the possibility of being motorized.
I was thinking of solutions such as the Baader Steeltrak, the V Power, a, obviously dedicated FT.
I have already tested the solution of the MEF-3 on original fok  and I don't like it.
Thank you

EDIT

answer by BAADER

"Unfortunately we do not offer an adaptor for this telescope. It is too rare so that mass production will not make sense for us. Our recommendation is to find a mashine shop that can manufacturer an adaptor for you. Or an online service like www.preciseparts.com can help you "

So remain the options FT only i think. can you suggest me exact models and parts number?

Telescope Express makes custom focuser adaptors. Maybe ask them if they could help. They made up an adaptor to fit a focuser to a scope for me a while ago. 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9286_TS-Optics-custom-made-Adapter.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I didn’t like the Baader Steeltrack I had, but it wasn’t the most recent model. The fine focus kept seizing up. The MEF is ok but pretty basic for the money. There’s also an offering from More Blue now - sold by FLO, similar to the Tak MEF. The FT blows them all away…. at a price.

I’ve found very little to choose between the Steeltrack and the FT crayford except the Steeltrack will handle more weight. The FT maybe edges out the Steeltrack by a little bit.

The FT R&P focusers are my favourotes though but not cheap. £££££££ 🙂

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

I’ve found very little to choose between the Steeltrack and the FT crayford except the Steeltrack will handle more weight. The FT maybe edges out the Steeltrack by a little bit.

The FT R&P focusers are my favourotes though but not cheap. £££££££ 🙂

What are the pros and cons of R&P versus Crayford? I've got a 2" Crayford FTF on the way but I didn't see a R&P option in that size - not that it matters and I'm sure either would be more than good enough for my needs.

The FT crayford is good but the R&P focusers take it to a new level. Smoother and more precise and handle more weight but start at 2.5”.

https://starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=37_54

Had a 3” R&P on an FLT98 and was an incredible focuser. Best I’ve ever used but silly money to buy now. 🙀

D633E446-3524-4628-A66B-9565B51603BB.jpeg

BBF3F93D-D2BD-428C-8EE6-4E7379DB27D7.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I think the 2” FTF2025BCR is a perfect match for the FC100DC scopes. It is lightweight, and from a form factor perspective fits beautifully. I’ve never had an issue with it holding any eyepiece I’ve used so not sure why you would need anything bigger. I’m sure that the R&Ps are fabulous, they are just too big/heavy/not needed for these scopes in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I think the 2” FTF2025BCR is a perfect match for the FC100DC scopes. It is lightweight, and from a form factor perspective fits beautifully. I’ve never had an issue with it holding any eyepiece I’ve used so not sure why you would need anything bigger. I’m sure that the R&Ps are fabulous, they are just too big/heavy/not needed for these scopes in my opinion.

Agree. I have a 3” R&P now which is great with a 120mm scope. The 2”. Crayfords are far more appropriate for the svelte FC-100s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fedele said:

ok FTF2025BCR with A20-304 adaptor.

the replacement of the focuser and the application of the flaniga to the telescope, are they simple unscrew / screw operations?
do they need collimation?
can i make them by myself?

They are a 2 minutes job on the DC - very easy to fit - presume the same on the DL. Don’t need collimation, and no to the last question - it’s a precision instrument and although the cost of the adapters is hard to swallow, it’s worth it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, johninderby said:

The FT crayford is good but the R&P focusers take it to a new level. Smoother and more precise and handle more weight but start at 2.5”.

https://starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=37_54

Had a 3” R&P on an FLT98 and was an incredible focuser. Best I’ve ever used but silly money to buy now. 🙀

D633E446-3524-4628-A66B-9565B51603BB.jpeg

BBF3F93D-D2BD-428C-8EE6-4E7379DB27D7.jpeg

Could be that they see a Crayford as being good enough for the smaller and lighter weight scopes that would have a 2" focuser attached.

I've got one ordered to put together an FC-76DCU and I wouldn't want to be hanging enormous cameras off it or want a focuser that was very heavy when the scope itself is so light.

Prices are getting a bit silly though, and even the low end models are an expensive upgrade.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Why the sad face John? If you’re happy with it, what’s the problem?

I thought that's what the emoticon meant - "what's the problem ?" :icon_scratch:

If there was a smiling one doing the same gesture I would have used that :smiley: