NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera/ telescope adapter.

banjaxed

I use one of these https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/baader-vixen-style-dovetail-clamp.html   to mount my ST80 on a photo tripod head, I expect there are cheaper versions around, but it's a nicely made heavy lump of metal and does the job well.  A large and a small screw to secure the  'scope dovetail, and a 1/4" threaded hole in the centre of the base to secure the clamp it to a standard tripod head to camera type screw (it has other holes to mount it elsewhere if you wanted )

Heather

12 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Am i missing the point my celestron C5 and my st80 attaches directly to a tripod without any probs as has a thread in the dovetail? What travel scope are you using?

The dovetail on the ST80 is not standard, it doesn’t look familiar and has only one screw hole at one end. Looks like a standard dovetail plate will solve my problem.

• Like 1

After putting it off for ages I finally decided to have the long awaited clear out in the garage when I came across an AZ3 tripod that I had forgotten about. It was consigned to the back of the garage when I bought a stainless steel tripod which is much more stable. Just placed an order with FLO for the mounting plate so it has worked out for the better as the AZ3 is not brilliant for a heavier scope but it should be fine for my ST80.