Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M33 - The Triangulum Galaxy - OSC

ONIKKINEN

1hr43min of 30s subs

M33-1h43min3J.thumb.jpg.9cebcbcaa3ef8f1a48d93707d2866ab4.jpg

Taken with a OOUK VX8 and RisingCam IMX571 mounted on a Skywatcher EQM-35 PRO from bortle 6-7 on the night between 1-2.9 during a partial Moon in the sky. The Moon didn't end up bothering all that much other than an annoying extra gradient to get rid of. Guiding was mostly on the worse side of 1 arcsecond RMS, hence the 50% resize and slight crop.

Processed in DeepSkyStacker - SIRIL - Photoshop.

I find it interesting that a OSC camera picks up quite strong H-alpha signal from the brightest clusters with such short exposures. Also seeing individual stars in another galaxy just seems so strange to me somehow, i always expect a galaxy to just be a uniform mess from so far away.

• Like 28

5 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

A lovely natural looking image,  can I ask what field flattener you used with the newtonian

Thanks, exactly what i want from my galaxy shots!

Its a TS-optics 0.95x Maxfield comacorrector. Its not so apparent at this 7.52 micron binned pixelsize but it leaves a bit of coma in the edges. Not a pixel peepers choice for sure.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Skyline said:

How long have you been using that RisingCam IMX571 and what do you think about it compared to say the likes of zwo?

Just dipping my toes into the dedicated astro cam world with this being my first one, so cant compare it to first hand experiences other than a DSLR which i believe is so far out of a fair comparison that it doesn't even make sense.

The camera performs extremely well and is a joy to work with. No obvious hiccups with N.I.N.A that come to mind. There is no amp glow or pattern noise of any kind and the cooler works well and fairly accurately. The cooler overshoots its target quite a lot at first but stabilizes in a few minutes and returns to the set value, its at the set value after polar alignment with sharpcap pro and the initial faff of setting everything up so no real downtime in use. Looking at pictures taken with this and a ZWO2600MC it would be impossible to tell the difference, as they share the same chip.

From a mechanical standpoint it is a bit different from ZWO and QHY offerings, but then again it is 800-900e cheaper. Youll need to buy adapters as the camera comes with just a few nosepieces, a UV/IR filter and a tiltplate if your model has sensor tilt. Even with these its still in a category of its own with pricing. Glowing recommendation from me!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Went back to this and reprocessed it a bit since new data isn't coming in due to weather.

Stacked in SIRIL instead of DSS this time, deconvoluted in the linear stage and reduced stars with PS StarXterminator layer fiddling. Not sure what else i did differently. I think its a bit easier on the eyes this way. What do you think, did it improve or not?

M33_RGB-subsky1-J.thumb.jpg.552e5606aa5e2df46550fba5df0cdee6.jpg