NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Milky Way

Rustang

So last night I was under Bortle 4 skies in Somerset and for the first time I'm pretty sure I could see the faint strip of the Milky way across the sky which was pretty amazing to be honest. While staring up in amazement I also witnessed 3 nice Meteors so it was a great visual night 😊

• Like 11

Good isn’t it @Rustang Whereabouts are you? I’m in Crewkerne now, Bortle 4 skies from my back garden and the Milky Way is clearly visible when the Moon is out of the way and the transparency is good. After being stuck near Heathrow for years, it is quite a revelation!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Floater said:

Guessing you didn’t take the scope? But obviously enjoyed the dark …

I took a visual scope and we had a look at Jupiter and Saturn which is always a pleasure, my Sister in law and wife really enjoyed that. I also took my Canon 600D and camera tripod and took a few shots of the Milky way at 50mm. I'm not expecting much as I don't have a small tracking mount so I was only at 5 sec subs but you can see it so there might be an ok photo in there somewhere, il do it properly one day. But out off all of it, just looking up was a real treat 😊

• Like 1

It's great to see the Milky Way again, i had similar views from North Norfolk a couple of weeks ago. What a crying shame it is that society has become obsessed with illuminating the world into "perma daylight". Weybourne had streetlights, but they lit the street. The big difference for me was the absence of illuminatd buisneses, carparks, shope fronts, factories........ Incredible to think how much money is wasted as well!

Been thinking about a short break in the winter maybe somewhere, only thing that puts me off is the weather.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

It's great to see the Milky Way again, i had similar views from North Norfolk a couple of weeks ago. What a crying shame it is that society has become obsessed with illuminating the world into "perma daylight". Weybourne had streetlights, but they lit the street. The big difference for me was the absence of illuminatd buisneses, carparks, shope fronts, factories........ Incredible to think how much money is wasted as well!

Been thinking about a short break in the winter maybe somewhere, only thing that puts me off is the weather.

Yeah it seems the only hobby where we have to wait, and wait, and wait sometimes! It gets really frustrating especially with imaging when you just wont to make some tweaks to improve but again, you just have to wait for that next clear night, you cant just get up the next day and improve straight away. I would definitely be booking some breaks under dark skies as much as possible but as you say, you just cant predict the weather so haven't bothered yet.

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I miss seeing the Milky Way clearly on hols in Dorset! We've not been away this year or last. I could just make it out faintly our way last night, which was nice but it made me think of the darker skies in Dorset! Next year, hopefully! I think I miss cream tea even more though  :D

I think once you've seen the Milky Way under darker skies, it's easier to make it out under slightly less favourable conditions. What a view it is when it's good!

• Like 1