SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Plate solving back to target following meridian flip

Hi all, 

I feel like this is probably something I'll find out for myself and maybe a silly question but providing its clear tonight I'll most likely be performing my first meridian flip in combination with plate solving in APT. 

Once passed the meridian my intention was to slew away to a bright star (something already past the meridian), check focus and then use a previous sub and APT's GOTO plate solving feature to slew back onto target. My question, will APT be able to identify the target is past the meridian and plate solve using what effectively will be an inverted image when compared to the new desired position, or will it just slew me back to where I was to begin with (pre flip)?

I know APT has an automatic meridian flip feature but I haven't really had a chance to look at that yet. 

Thanks

• Like 1

In session craft it has the flip settings.. it will reach the meridian, stop the camera,  blindsolve and flip..and then plate solve back to the target.. No need to manually do anything.. Ivaylo suggests you babysit the mount the first few times, and goes without saying your cable management needs to be ....  well mananged

• Like 1

I don’t know about APT, but in Ekos it’s best to let the mount track to past the meridian (15 - 30 minutes for me), or the platesolving may flip the mount back. Happened to me a few times.

• Like 1

I can only agree with all advice above.
I now use EKOS but used APT for quite a while and once set up you can leave the rig imaging away and go to bed if you want, it will handle the flip and get back on target with ease, without any intervention.

I also found it better to set the flip for a little past the meridian as I think all mounts will handle going past meridian by some way. I think I did a search on google for APT meridian settings and just copied them and it worked.
Best to witness the first one or two flips just to make sure, I usually just select a target almost at the meridian at start of a session and give it a test so I do not have to wait up till 3:00 in morning. Once I have seen it work okay a couple of times I feel confident to let it do it unattended.

As it gets to the set flip point APT will assess if the exposure length is such that it will take it past the flip point and if it would it will  platesolve its current position, flip, then take a test shot and platesolve again to get back to target (although target image is now flipped) and then carry on imaging.
If you want to re-focus I believe APT can also do this as certain specified intervals, or temperature changes, not sure whether you can specify after the flip or not, its been a while since i used APT.

Steve

I know it’s hard, but you have to believe. It looks like magic, but it just works. 

like they say, babysitit the first few times to give yourself confidence, then let it roll. I have used three different astro-imaging softwares, and they have all handled it impeccably once set up.

On 30/08/2021 at 08:51, wimvb said:

I don’t know about APT, but in Ekos it’s best to let the mount track to past the meridian (15 - 30 minutes for me), or the platesolving may flip the mount back. Happened to me a few times.

Good advice. Just make sure your mount limits allow it to track past the meridian by a few degrees.