Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I hate clouds!

Swoop1

On Monday evening, being a clear night, I set up my charity shop find 135mm lens and ASI290MC with my new Baader Varilock extension tube in the train. Found a useful target and started the laborious process of slowly extending the tube to achieve close focus. I then found that the target wasn't bright enough for the Bhatinov mask to be effective so flailed around until I found a visible star that would work.

The laborious process then got worse as I had to tweak backwards and forwards, gain good focus then disturb the position as I tightened the lock ring so had to go again. I finally found myself at the cusp of being spot on- the rays off the star were just fractionally offset so I tweaked and then hit for a final check exposure. Where's the star? Look heavenward to see that my sky was being overtaken by cloud.

This morning- woke up to blazing sunshine. Showered and still blazing sunshine. Tea and toasted bagel, still sunshine. Deploy the C6 and solar filter, align on Sol and install the camera, still sunshine, gain focus on the active region of choice and the clouds roll in.

I hate clouds!!!!!

I reckon it's Musk. He is creating artificial clouds in the evenings to keep Astronomers off the scent of his SpaceX operation......🤔

........Or the weather here in the UK is utter garbage! 😉

Edited by Jonny_H
  • Haha 1