Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modified DSLR settings

Hi All,

just wondering what would be a “goto” setting for a modified dslr ?

im comfortable with my unmodded camera between iso 800-1600, anywhere up to 3-4 min guided exposures , I have the White Balance set to auto or daylight. But when it comes to my modded camera everything just looks really really noisy ? So much so that on taking test exposures I couldn’t even make out stars or focus correctly ? I fear I may have bought a dud :(

so just wanted to check if there is a basic set of settings I should use to start as baseline.

cheers

Andy H

Try setting a custom white balance.

Edit: Sorry, I should have added a lot more but got sidetracked domestically!

I have been having similar problems with my modified Sony A5000. The image in the LCD screen was a mass of swirling red blobs and I can barely see the effect of a Bahtinov mask.

I have been advised to drastically reduce the ISO when focussing, use a custom white balance to reduce some of the red in the LCD. I have also read that switching to jpeg just for focussing improves the LCD image. Apparently adding an IR/UV cut filter is necessary with a fully modified DSLR, whether this improves the LCD image I’ve yet to find out as the stars have disappeared since being given this advice!

Edited by LaurenceT
More text

Does not sound too good if you cannot make out the stars... When I got my 600D camera modded I changed very little in terms of the settings. The images did appear to be a little noisier, but not to the extent you are suggesting. I would not think changing the white balance would make that much difference - it changes the colours but should not stop you seeing stars.

Have you tried taking a normal daytime image with a lens? The colour will be out but it should show you whether it is working correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newforestgimp said:

couldn’t even make out stars or focus correctly

Hi

Set a lens to M and focus with your un-modified camera. Anywhere in Cygnus would be fine. Now without changing anything on the lens, mount it on the modified version. Set to RAW at -perhaps- ISO800 and take a 3-4 minute as you would normally. Post -a link to- the RAW frame here.

Beyond this we can only guess as we don't know which camera is which.

HTH

Edited by alacant

53 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Does not sound too good if you cannot make out the stars... When I got my 600D camera modded I changed very little in terms of the settings. The images did appear to be a little noisier, but not to the extent you are suggesting. I would not think changing the white balance would make that much difference - it changes the colours but should not stop you seeing stars.

Have you tried taking a normal daytime image with a lens? The colour will be out but it should show you whether it is working correctly.

All seemed ok on a daytime shot, in the evening I was using APT to view and set up, used the focus aids within APT on live view and and it seemed ok. Went to then plate solve and it couldn’t resolve the images ??

it’s a 2nd hand 550D, I’m wondering if it’s more sensitive to light pollution on an extended exposure ?

5 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

Went to then plate solve and it couldn’t resolve the images ??

Could you see the stars in the image or was it just the plate solving that was struggling? From what you are saying above, it would appear the camera is working correctly. I would normally plate solve with something like 10s exposures - this avoids issues with other light as only the stars show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newforestgimp said:

Went to then plate solve and it couldn’t resolve the images ??

Not sure about APT, but using EKOS I have to make sure of the correct settings for the lens diameter and length (and camera sensor details) for the calculated FOV otherwise plate solving will fail. Also, in the captures, it will show some noise but the stars should be able to be seen - as someone else has said, you need to be taking around 10s exposures for plate solving to ensure stars resolve above noise/LP

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dazzyt66 said:

Not sure about APT, but using EKOS I have to make sure of the correct settings for the lens diameter and length (and camera sensor details) for the calculated FOV otherwise plate solving will fail.

Yes definitely - I was working on the assumption that these were already correct. Obviously still worth checking.