Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter at Opposition 2021

orion25

The clouds parted and allowed me to get a nice image of Jupiter at opposition with a cool Io transit to boot! I thought it was a just moon shadow but my Starry Night software revealed that the shadow AND the moon itself were transiting the gas giant simultaneously:

1853354387_ASTRONOMY-JUPITEROPPOSITIONIOTRANSITZWO8-19-21.jpg.e457dbe57104536bc20f973303b123fe.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie🚀

Edited by orion25
  • Like 11

Nice capture Reggie.

If I remember correctly, (although I could be wrong🙂) at opposition the moon & shadow transit very close together.  Before opposition the shadow precedes the moon and after opposition the shadow will follow the moon.

Angie

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, U Cyg said:

Nice capture Reggie.

If I remember correctly, (although I could be wrong🙂) at opposition the moon & shadow transit very close together.  Before opposition the shadow precedes the moon and after opposition the shadow will follow the moon.

Angie

Thanks, Angie. That would explain why the "shadow" was actually the moon and shadow together, being very close at opposition. Wow, what neat geometry!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

You captured those details nicely... must have been great seeing. 

Thanks, my friend. It was a good combination of transparency and seeing that night. I almost resigned myself to solely observing the opposition but the sky was so clear and steady I couldn't resist a bit of imaging :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, orion25 said:

Thanks, my friend. It was a good combination of transparency and seeing that night. I almost resigned myself to solely observing the opposition but the sky was so clear and steady I couldn't resist a bit of imaging :) 

I know that feeling... and than clouds come during the time you're getting the imaging kit together.

• Haha 1