NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark nebula observing

jetstream

6 minutes ago, globular said:

The two areas in question were darker but, no my eyes, they were darker due to less bright nebula and fewer stars rather than anything I could call dark nebula.

Congrats for seeing them! 

Maybe they arent dark nebula, who knows- but they are a nice goal to achieve!

Whats next? The dark ones in Auriga?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jetstream said:

The Veil is a no brainer but have you tried Pickerings Wisp? Your scope and OIII will show it nicely.

Is that the triangular shape in NGC 6974?

Funnily enough I stumbled on this tonight as I was sweeping around the western veil with my oiii strapped in.

I made this note:  "OIII in:  Stumbled on this drifting around the western veil and this looked better.  Not as good as the eastern veil tonight though which was rather impressive."  with the intention of looking up more about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, globular said:

Is that the triangular shape in NGC 6974?

Funnily enough I stumbled on this tonight as I was sweeping around the western veil with my oiii strapped in.

I made this note:  "OIII in:  Stumbled on this drifting around the western veil and this looked better.  Not as good as the eastern veil tonight though which was rather impressive."  with the intention of looking up more about it.

Yes, great obs!

Spend more time here and find the "thin thread" and tell me how far it goes...👍

Also, you see the split in the broom of the western veil- go to 52 Cygni, observe the thin end and see if you can see the "tube" as I call it.

What low power eyepiece(s) are you using?

VG observing btw.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jetstream said:

find the "thin thread" and tell me how far it goes...👍

Yeah I followed that last night... lovely combination of nebula and stars... but I didn't note how far it went.

9 hours ago, jetstream said:

you see the split in the broom of the western veil- go to 52 Cygni, observe the thin end and see if you can see the "tube" as I call it.

Do you mean the "top bit" than curves round and points towards Pickerings Wisp?  Or the other direction?

9 hours ago, jetstream said:

What low power eyepiece(s) are you using?

I used my Pentax XW40 at 53x 1.25° and 3.8mm exit pupil.
I can't get any more FOV than that in my scope, but I have a 56mm Plossl arriving from FLO tomorrow that will give a bigger exit pupil (38x 1.25° 5.4mm).  I measured mine at roughly 5.75mm ish so hopefully it will work ok... if my skies are dark enough.

• Like 1

Just now, globular said:

I'm still not sure where you mean (I'll have to look it up properly).... I think that is what I was following when NGC 6974 caught my eye.  

I'm talking about the "spike" portion of the neb, did you see where the nebula splits into 2 sections?

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

C in your image,there is a nice challenge feature in C that I call the "tube" . Your C8 with the narrowish TFOV will help control 52 Cygni to see it.👍

Ok so I was viewing it last night. 
I'll have to go back and have another look.... there was some popping nebulosity but I didn't think "tube"... funnily enough I though "Mr Messy". (In structure not shape). 

image.png.2c6c4d4cfb713081479a08228b14beed.png

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

Btw, the image map "spilled the beans" with respect to how far the thin thread goes lol! (the arrows).

It seemed to go on forever... then curve round... hence ending up at the triangle.  Maybe it was averted imagination as John calls it 🤣

• Like 1