Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power Tank?

I use the Maplin 3 in 1 powertank. I learned the hard way by buying AA batteries to start with. That didn't last long. Just make sure that you keep it topped up with power from the wall socket at all times. Never ever let it run fully down otherwise you will wreck it. If you follow this simple procedure then it will be a godsend. Very reasonably priced as well.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not go for a 60ah diesel car battery?? Will last longer than a power tank..

Or a 110ah leisure battery, one of those will last you all night and longer..More than enough for dew weaters and a laptop..

if running the mount from home you'd be better running it from the mains with one of these..

13.8V Regulated Mains Power Units : Bench Power Supplies : Maplin

Greg

The leisure battery would be the way to go as they are designed to be discharged way down. Regarding the mains 13.8 volt regulated power supply, how will the extra 1.8 volts over a 12 volt affect things?

Hi,

I also bought the Challange power tank from Argos and it works really well. It has one 12v outlet so if you are running the mount and a dew zapper then you may need an alternative. The challange tank is 17ah and is a lot less expensive than the telescope branded ones. It does not have some of the extras "radio removable lights coffee making maid! but the again IMO these things only add to power drain. One note on the adapter that comes with it. I was advised not to use it on my celestron nexstar 6 mount and the pin configuration is slightly different and eventually it will squash the pin resulting in a poor connection. I bought a celestron lead and besides the risk, it is much longer anyway.

Hope that helps.

Rapallokid.

I am in the process of building one.

Will have 3x cigar power outlets (could potentially have 7) - each individually switched, running off an 85aH battery, all neatly housed in a box strong enough to be stood/sat on which will also have storage for the voltage step up for the laptop and the various power leads.

Will be posting details of build, where I got the items, and total cost.

Rough costing is around £100 mark (but I have over-engineered it when picking materials).

Thats way over the top for me. I bought a 110ah leisure battery and box, + 3 point cigar connector from Alpha Batteries for £90. Saved all the hassle of building it.

Archived