NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suitable prism diagonal for Takahashi FS-60CB / FC-76DCU

On 15/08/2021 at 22:39, Andrew_B said:

It looks very securely fixed, presumably threaded onto the scope rather than using the eyepiece clamp.

Do you use a binoviewer at all? It's something I might get in due course and I'd imagine I'd need a more secure attachment than a compression fitting.

I do use a WO binoviewer hence why I prefer the shorter light path of a prism.

it is indeed threaded onto the scope, for extra rigidity 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

I do use a WO binoviewer hence why I prefer the shorter light path of a prism.

it is indeed threaded onto the scope, for extra rigidity 👍

Do you need to use a Barlow lens or glasspath corrector to reach focus with that combo.

I like the idea of using one of those to make viewing more comfortable and natural but some of the arrangements I've seen have an awful lot of gear hanging off the focuser. That's partly why I spent the money on the FT for the FC-76 to give me the option of binoviewing without worrying that I'll overstress the Tak focuser.

19 hours ago, Andrew_B said:

Do you need to use a Barlow lens or glasspath corrector to reach focus with that combo.

I like the idea of using one of those to make viewing more comfortable and natural but some of the arrangements I've seen have an awful lot of gear hanging off the focuser. That's partly why I spent the money on the FT for the FC-76 to give me the option of binoviewing without worrying that I'll overstress the Tak focuser.

You should be ok with that FT. The WO comes with a 1.6x Barlow, which also provides additional “in focus”. Try with and without 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

You should be ok with that FT. The WO comes with a 1.6x Barlow, which also provides additional “in focus”. Try with and without 👍

By the time the FT turns up I might well be in the market for a binoviewer and I'm sure I'll get one at some point. The 3D view of looking through the Baby Tak with a long FL eyepiece is already impressive with one eye so using both should be spectacular.

The prism and clamp turned up today and work perfectly with the usual Baader build quality. Not had a chance to look at the night sky yet with the current weather but tried out the microfocuser on some distant ground targets and found it did the job well. The only combination that's a bit of a struggle to use is with Baader's own Hyperion Zoom eyepiece which was a bit of a surprise - the base of the main eyepiece body butts up against the focusing ring and makes turning it a bit awkward. Adding the 2.25x matching Barlow to the eyepiece solves the problem completely by giving it more standoff distance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andrew_B said:

By the time the FT turns up I might well be in the market for a binoviewer and I'm sure I'll get one at some point. The 3D view of looking through the Baby Tak with a long FL eyepiece is already impressive with one eye so using both should be spectacular.

The prism and clamp turned up today and work perfectly with the usual Baader build quality. Not had a chance to look at the night sky yet with the current weather but tried out the microfocuser on some distant ground targets and found it did the job well. The only combination that's a bit of a struggle to use is with Baader's own Hyperion Zoom eyepiece which was a bit of a surprise - the base of the main eyepiece body butts up against the focusing ring and makes turning it a bit awkward. Adding the 2.25x matching Barlow to the eyepiece solves the problem completely by giving it more standoff distance.

Who needs clear skies when you’ve got a beautiful Tak to look at? 🤣

• Haha 4

On 15/08/2021 at 12:04, HollyHound said:

In answer to your original question, I have both the small and larger Baader T2 prisms on all my Taks and they work superbly 👍

There isn’t too much difference in light path length between them I don’t think, but yes the smaller are much cheaper… unfortunately I haven’t seen them in stock anywhere for a good while… I think I might have bought the last one FLO had😬

On 15/08/2021 at 12:04, HollyHound said:

In answer to your original question, I have both the small and larger Baader T2 prisms on all my Taks and they work superbly 👍

There isn’t too much difference in light path length between them I don’t think, but yes the smaller are much cheaper… unfortunately I haven’t seen them in stock anywhere for a good while… I think I might have bought the last one FLO had😬

image.png.1727807dee1b767c1704019bbc1cd890.png

Hi HH, do you have details of the Tak focuser -> T2 adaptor please?

Apologies for poor mark-up.

CS, Andy