NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2 nights on the Lagoon between walnut trees

alan potts

Just thought I would post this up which is about 2 1/2 hours of M8, I have cropped it a tad just to make it a bit different from the other days effort.

633172470_Lagoon2hrs30mAug21copy.thumb.jpg.5576788ba93edf245bb1cb1c91493722.jpg

A bit late now but this is a target that would have benefited somewhat from turn the camera through 90 degrees. It has a little bit of condensation artifacts along the bottom edge, most I have cropped out but not all. I have solved this problem now thanks to help from site members.

Alan

• Like 31

3 hours ago, astro mick said:

Another lovely image Alan,great colour balance,and quite striking.

Mick.

Don't know what I am doing wrong but this does come out fairly well, it like the other was processed in record time but some how sort of pops out at you. This is a low object here though better than any UK location, not helped by the very high evening temperatures which I am sure cause a lot of turbulence in the air. Must try this wham bam processing more often.

Alan

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, alan potts said:

a lot of turbulence in the air.

Hi

Lovely shot.

We're at 38ºN and yeah, the air shimmer Sagittarius way in early evening can play havoc with image stability. 

To minimise the effect, using the EKOS internal guider, we set a large RA minimum move with a 3s guide exposure under SEP multistar and of course start with something higher to begin the session. The turbulence seems to play less of a role from around 02:00. Switch then.

Cheers

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Hi

Lovely shot.

We're at 38ºN and yeah, the air shimmer Sagittarius way in early evening can play havoc with image stability. 

To minimise the effect, using the EKOS internal guider, we set a large RA minimum move with a 3s guide exposure under SEP multistar and of course start with something higher to begin the session. The turbulence seems to play less of a role from around 02:00. Switch then.

Cheers

Thanks for that advice, I must try to increase it, I am at 41 north so your a tad better off than me, I generally use at least 4 seconds that low, though higher up like last night I had superb results on 2.5 seconds

Alan

1 minute ago, alan potts said:

I had my 18 inch on before, though I have now sold it on to one of our members from Belgium

Oh no!

Yes this object is purely amazing in the 24"/Nikon 17 HW, it drops the jaw everytime observed.

Great to see you imaging Alan you are producing very good results. Here I hope to try lunar imaging to get my feet wet and then planetary next year when Jupiter starts to climb.

Do you plan on another large dob? I find them great- but -mine are assembled and wheeled 8 feet out of a sea can for use and storage in minutes. Always cooled too. Do you still have that excellent 115mm LZOS?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jetstream said:

Oh no!

Yes this object is purely amazing in the 24"/Nikon 17 HW, it drops the jaw everytime observed.

Great to see you imaging Alan you are producing very good results. Here I hope to try lunar imaging to get my feet wet and then planetary next year when Jupiter starts to climb.

Do you plan on another large dob? I find them great- but -mine are assembled and wheeled 8 feet out of a sea can for use and storage in minutes. Always cooled too. Do you still have that excellent 115mm LZOS?

I have no plans to get another Dob, I lost interest when I was not so well with my prostate problem, I was not meant to allow it to get cold can you believe. I am fine now after the operation but never got that interest back. The 115mm went a long time ago, a local that had to have one made me a very good offer and a swap for a TS 115mm, which I have to say is very good indeed, so much so it is almost impossible for me to tell them apart when I compare results from the Canon and now with the Zwo. I dare say it would have shown a difference had I ever used the Zwo 071 on it, but I never did.

Alan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

I am fine now after the operation

Great to hear Alan!

I too have had issues, the most recent being 2 hips replaced within the last 3 months. It feels so good to be able to move my scopes again. I'm glad you are all fixed up and I wish you continuing success with your imaging.👍

• Like 1

Nice natural look--not too pushed.  background looks decent.  This is a very tough target for me due to its declination and the presence of a nearby city.  It's a shame, because I really like M8, M20, M16 and M17....all of which are usually buried in LP

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Nice natural look--not too pushed.  background looks decent.  This is a very tough target for me due to its declination and the presence of a nearby city.  It's a shame, because I really like M8, M20, M16 and M17....all of which are usually buried in LP

Its not brilliant from here Rod, can't imagine 10 degrees less, and that if you live in the south. I keep looking at M 6 and 7 but apart from the fact they are very low here I have about an hour when I can get on due to walnut treesand a flip in the middle. Maybe I should get the chainsaw out.

Alan