NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I think I'm switching to Fuji for Astrophotography

Chris

I was having zero luck imaging nebula with my 40D, so I decided to pick up a Fuji XT1 after reading about their Astro performance. Yes, it's an extra step converting Fuji RAF files into Tiffs or DNG in order to stack in DSS. but I think it's worth it for the Ha performance and the ISO invariance. Both the Canon and Fuji were shot using ISO1600. 

Oh and please excuse the lack of a field flattener, I'm an idiot, or tired, or a tired idiot 🤪

Edited by Chris
  • Like 4

Another great video Chris, a joy to watch.
Interesting with the comparisons.

Intesesting that an APS-C sensor between makes and ages can give such differing results.

I have to say when I stepped from a mirror to mirrorless the Fuji nearly got me,
but I went m4/3 and Olympus.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Alan :) Far from a perfect test but the difference was so stark! If anything the Fuji was at a disadvantage in many ways as well - Exposure length, optical speed (forgot the reducer/flattener) and I didn't use the fancy pants L-Enhance filter with the Fuji Either. 

Olympus are nice and retro looking cameras also, they do the best in body image stabilisation as well. I do hope the company that bought Olympus will continue to make cameras.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Olympus are nice and retro looking cameras also, they do the best in body image stabilisation as well. I do hope the company that bought Olympus will continue to make cameras.   

Indeed they are presently, but who knows longer term, the part that was sold was the imaging division only,
so likley the buyer wanted the imaging (ie cameras) part rather than just the use of the name, but you never know.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Great vid Chris, and interesting to see an alternative camera to the usual suspects. 👍

Thank you Rob :) I think I'm a little bit smitten with Fuji after witnessing it's ISO invariance, and Ha performance. The analogue dials are pretty nice too :)

• Like 2