Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sadr Region

Iem1

Hey guys,

Managed to grab around 130 x 60 second subs on the Sadr region last night, I was trying to improve on my NA and Pelican nebula image quality, dropped from 2 min to 1 min exposures and kept ISO 800. It is still not anything special, but I think there is at least some improvement with the overall quality of the Sadr image compared to the NA and Pelican, I think 1 minute subs are better suited to my set up (WO Z73 with an astromodified Canon 600D sitting on a sky guider pro, unguided).

Any tips/suggestions welcome as always, eager to keep improving. It helps a lot to have experienced sets of eyes pointing out issues etc :) 

Sadr region, without star reduction(png):

747010926_Sadr(x3Arcsin).thumb.png.a0ddd6e63643a0c350741e6acca1ace8.png

NA and Pelican for comparison (png)

1838187108_NaandPelicancompleted.thumb.png.90a06ea734d84b011910f5edcc5ed4cd.png

Unedited Sadr stack if anyone wants a go at processing :) :

Autosave.tif

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, alacant said:

1sadr.thumb.jpg.5728315348fe311a7349d6c1ef6abf19.jpg

Wow, that is a brilliant improvement!

May I ask how you went about reducing the stars? You have reduced them but also kept them sharp, I could reduce them slightly but they just ended up blurring.

Also great work with background extraction!

Thank you for your time :)

22 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

Had a play in Startools

sadr.jpg

Brilliant result! 

How did you get rid of the extremely light nebula to bring out the background a bit more? Adds a whole new pop to the image!

I'm going to give it a shot in startools tomorrow, another useful weapon to add to the arsenal of processing techniques :)

To all those that helped, thank you for taking the time to do it. Much appreciated 

1 minute ago, Iem1 said:

Brilliant result! 

How did you get rid of the extremely light nebula to bring out the background a bit more? Adds a whole new pop to the image!

I'm going to give it a shot in startools tomorrow, another useful weapon to add to the arsenal of processing techniques :)

To all those that helped, thank you for taking the time to do it. Much appreciated 

Auto Dev in startools which is basically a stretch function  ,so basic start is autodev ,to see what you have , bin data i usualy bin50%, Crop module crop the artefacts from stacking out  around edge ,Wipe module to rid gradients and vignetting , now redo AutoDev for final stretch , now work left to right through modules you require , starting with contrast , finishing with noise reduction,any problem let us know  . 

NB , check out startools website for more info ,https://www.startools.org/links--tutorials/starting-with-a-good-dataset/general-pre-processing-dos-and-donts have a good read of do and dont page .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

Auto Dev in startools which is basically a stretch function  ,so basic start is autodev ,to see what you have , bin data i usualy bin50%, Crop module crop the artefacts from stacking out  around edge ,Wipe module to rid gradients and vignetting , now redo AutoDev for final stretch , now work left to right through modules you require , starting with contrast , finishing with noise reduction,any problem let us know  . 

NB , check out startools website for more info ,https://www.startools.org/links--tutorials/starting-with-a-good-dataset/general-pre-processing-dos-and-donts have a good read of do and dont page .

Thank you very much burly! The guidance is invaluable.

Now to recover from being on the side of a mountain until 5 am this morning capturing that Sadr data! :)

night folks! 

in this same imaging session, after capturing the Sadr data, the dslr was very close to hitting the tripod after rotating for the 2+ hours and the clouds were rolling in so I decided to finish up and grab as few shots of the whirpool galaxy.

This is x5 60 second subs :D 

Given how small it is in the frame, do you think it is a worth while target? or is it a bit too small? (Image is slightly cropped already)

774424355_Whirlpool(SiriL).thumb.png.f79b7a4b2397b686bb7d69b5f177c3c2.png

• Like 1

On 03/08/2021 at 23:50, bottletopburly said:

now redo AutoDev for final stretch

... or -and this is one of StarTools' big plus'- as many times as you see fit during the whole process;)

** sorry. I wrote this at the time but didn't hit Submit. Better late than...

On 04/08/2021 at 13:22, Iem1 said:

in this same imaging session, after capturing the Sadr data, the dslr was very close to hitting the tripod after rotating for the 2+ hours and the clouds were rolling in so I decided to finish up and grab as few shots of the whirpool galaxy.

This is x5 60 second subs :D 

Given how small it is in the frame, do you think it is a worth while target? or is it a bit too small? (Image is slightly cropped already)

774424355_Whirlpool(SiriL).thumb.png.f79b7a4b2397b686bb7d69b5f177c3c2.png

I like it. It kinda shows it as a lonely galaxy out there, and shows how small it looks, but you still have great detail in there. Might be worth trying to pop a barlow in the image chain if you have one ?