Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question from a first time obsy newbie

Andywilliams

Hi All,

I’m planning a budget pier and the a shed type obsy.

This will be the first go at this for me and I am very much NOT a handyman ! 

I was originally tending towards a ‘todmorden’ style pier as I have plenty of these blocks in my backyard.

But then I got to thinking that I already have a centre pier tripod on wheels that fits my HEQ5 mount and I’m not using it.

Would I be able to slot this straight into a concrete base with reinforcement rods for vertical stability ?

As far as I can see, as long as it’s dead straight and vertical it should do the job ?

or have I missed something ?

Below is a pic of the aforementioned pier tripod.

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

Andy 

130C404C-8F2D-4AA7-AADD-1B0A3C9FE764.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Will it be long enough as it will need to go at least 18” into the concrete…??

Does it ? I notice that with the todmorden pattern the blocks are bolted to the concrete base ? 

I was hoping to do the same with this 

10 minutes ago, Andywilliams said:

Does it ? I notice that with the todmorden pattern the blocks are bolted to the concrete base ? 

I was hoping to do the same with this 

Hmmm, not something I would do, but it may work ok, in which case what will you need the rebar for…, do you intend to fill the tube with concrete..?

7 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

I dont get what you mean when you say “slot this into a concrete base” when you say you are going to bolt down, also where will the bolts go through on the steel tube….??

Thanks for your replies Stuart .

im just thinking out loud really.

i was thinking maybe rebars in the concrete base that would fit into the steel tube and fill the tube with concrete ....maybe ? 

5 hours ago, Andywilliams said:

Thanks for your replies Stuart .

im just thinking out loud really.

i was thinking maybe rebars in the concrete base that would fit into the steel tube and fill the tube with concrete ....maybe ? 

That may work, but really think you need the tube in the concrete at least about 6” to make it solid…don’t think the rebar would be enough to stop any movement in the tube, or maybe a square steel plate, say 10” square, with four holes drilled, welded to the bottom of the tube, and then bolt that down to concrete base…that would work, also that way you lose no height…? 👍🏼

• Like 1