NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ GTi Eq mode setup

Hi

Just got my hands on an AZ GTi EQ and currently reading up as much as I can find about setting up,  polar alignment,  etc

Couple of things I would like to ask

Im going to be using a Canon  500d  to start with with a  few different lens the biggest of which is a Tamron 200mm. What is the best way to attach the camera to the AZ GTi mount ? 

Also, what is the best way to power the mount. Dont like the idea of buying batteries all the time. Does it work well with rechargable batteries ? Better to get a power pack ? Which one ?

Hope a few of you with experience of this mount can chip in with suggestions. I would rather get it right first time rather than buying bits and then having to replace them later.

Thanks

Edited by johnbmcg

• johnbmcg changed the title to AZ GTi Eq mode setup
39 minutes ago, johnbmcg said:

Hi

Just got my hands on an AZ GTi EQ and currently reading up as much as I can find about setting up,  polar alignment,  etc

Couple of things I would like to ask

Im going to be using a Canon  500d  to start with with a  few different lens the biggest of which is a Tamron 200mm. What is the best way to attach the camera to the AZ GTi mount ? 

Also, what is the best way to power the mount. Dont like the idea of buying batteries all the time. Does it work well with rechargable batteries ? Better to get a power pack ? Which one ?

Hope a few of you with experience of this mount can chip in with suggestions. I would rather get it right first time rather than buying bits and then having to replace them later.

Thanks

I use one of these bolted to the tripod collar on the lens. Although not obvious, it does have a small safety bolt to stop the dovetail sliding out of the saddle if not quite tightened up. You might be able to use it fastened directly to the camera on lighter lenses but could make balancing slightly awkward.

I can't really advise on a powerpack - I use a Celestron Powertank pro that but that's a bit expensive (but very light) if this is your only mount. This post here as a more affordable and pretty neat battery pack solution.

I use a Celestron 6.1 Ah Powertank Lithium LT for power - holds its charge for ages and works very well with the AZ-GTi 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-6-1-ah-powertank-lithium-lt.html

Though it has to be said there's a lot of fans of the Talentcell power pack here, and it does seem to be a more affordable alternative.

I can recommend the use of the AZ GTi with Sky Safari 6 Plus software - once aligned with Synscan Pro, you can then select items in SS6+ and simply "goto" them.  It's worth waiting until they have it on a half price deal though. 

• Like 2

Ordered the dovetail mentioned above, thank you.

Already have Sky Safari plus, looking forward to using it with the AZ GTi.

The Talentcell looks to be ideal for what I want. I will probably go ahead and get it ordered in the next couple of days.

No clear skies here until Sunday at least. Lots of reading to do and YouTube to watch to get some more tips about this setup before then.

Edited by johnbmcg

On 02/08/2021 at 22:12, Gfamily said:

Though it has to be said there's a lot of fans of the Talentcell power pack here, and it does seem to be a more affordable alternative.

I and many others on here use the talentcell battery packs and are quite phenominal with the az gti I have had many outings on one charge very easily and it's fits in your pocket for easy carrying I use the 3000 mah one and suits my needs. 

Edited by AstroNebulee

On 03/08/2021 at 19:36, johnbmcg said:

Ordered the dovetail mentioned above, thank you.

Already have Sky Safari plus, looking forward to using it with the AZ GTi.

The Talentcell looks to be ideal for what I want. I will probably go ahead and get it ordered in the next couple of days.

No clear skies here until Sunday at least. Lots of reading to do and YouTube to watch to get some more tips about this setup before then.

The Talentcell should last many hours when powering an AZGTI without fault between charges including keeping a phone topped up or powering a USB lens dew heater band.

Buy a bag too to keep the dew at bay and a Lynx Astro cable to complete the ensemble.

1708654639_IMG_20210416_2147521792.thumb.jpg.dea59ba45615408bcb19a399e094cdc4.jpg

On 02/08/2021 at 22:12, Gfamily said:

I use a Celestron 6.1 Ah Powertank Lithium LT for power - holds its charge for ages and works very well with the AZ-GTi 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-6-1-ah-powertank-lithium-lt.html

I can recommend the use of the AZ GTi with Sky Safari 6 Plus software - once aligned with Synscan Pro, you can then select items in SS6+ and simply "goto" them.  It's worth waiting until they have it on a half price deal though. 

+1 for the powertank 

13 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The Talentcell should last many hours when powering an AZGTI without fault between charges including keeping a phone topped up or powering a USB lens dew heater band.

Buy a bag too to keep the dew at bay and a Lynx Astro cable to complete the ensemble.

1708654639_IMG_20210416_2147521792.thumb.jpg.dea59ba45615408bcb19a399e094cdc4.jpg

Great setup

• Thanks 1

Hi , i Know the post says EQ setup but have you updated the firmware or are you still using the stock firmware . The stock is exclusively for AZ Alt mode whereas the updated firmware can be used in either EQ or Alt Az ... just remember if you use the updated firmware , place your scope on the Right hand side of the mount . :)... Just thought i would check . Sorry if it was an obvious question 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi , i Know the post says EQ setup but have you updated the firmware or are you still using the stock firmware . The stock is exclusively for AZ Alt mode whereas the updated firmware can be used in either EQ or Alt Az ... just remember if you use the updated firmware , place your scope on the Right hand side of the mount . :)... Just thought i would check . Sorry if it was an obvious question 

Yes, I have the updated firmware as I intend to use in EQ mode. Im starting to use with a DSLR and lens for astrophotography, or I will do when the clouds clear.  A dedicated scope for astrophotography. will have to wait unless I find something cheap to start with.

I do have a 130p which I will use for visual, its on another alt az mount. I assume you mean the telescope needs to go on the right if using the az gti in alt az mode  using the new firmware ?

Edited by johnbmcg

15 minutes ago, johnbmcg said:

I assume you mean the telescope needs to go on the right if using the az gti in alt az mode  using the new firmware ?

Yes ,  using the mount in Alt az mode after the firmware upgrade , the scope should be placed on the right 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie

9 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Yes ,  using the mount in Alt az mode after the firmware upgrade , the scope should be placed on the right 

Thanks for that info. I hope I remember that if I ever use it in alt az.

If you're using the mount at home then it might be an option to run an extension and a small low voltage DC power supply off the mains. I've tested it with a fairly generic 12V supply from a network drive and it worked well enough.