Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Calling Ethos owners ....

Have any of you Ethos owners (13mm and shorter FL) thought about, or actually tried, using a 2" barrel extension ?. Tele Vue do one at around £30 which seems a lot but I can't see any other way to use my 2" Ultrablock filter with my Ethos 13 in my Newtonian without one of these. It seems a bit extravagant to buy a 1.25" Ultrablock just to use with one eyepiece.

Anyone else come up against this issue ?.

John

John,

I have an Ethos 13mm and the 2" barrel extension as well. It certainly works fne with 2" filters. The barrel is shiny aluminium ( inside also ), but i don't bother about it since the front lens is in a blackened tube and doesn't see it anyway.

cheers,

Janos

Hi

The Baader Hyperion Fine Tuning Rings work, and are a lot cheaper. They come in 14mm and 28mm lengths. You can get both for less than the cost of the Televue one.

I wanted them to either use 2" filters or be able fit a 2" Barlow lens directly onto the eyepiece. The 14mm ring fits the 13mm Ethos and gives about 1mm clearance between a Baader filter and the end of the 1.25" barrel of the eyepiece. Tight but just enough for the filter but should be no problem with the Barlow lens. The 8mm Ethos needs the 28mm ring and then clearance for filters is not an issue. Being able to stack the rings will be perfect for fine tuning the Barlow lens.

John

Using 2" filters was something I had to consider when getting the Ethos but around the same time I bought a Paracorr so problem solved - the filter fits to the Paracorr.

If I ever sold the Paracorr I would probably have to get a barrel extender.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the feedback folks - John's idea of using the Hyperion tuning rings never occurred to me - thanks John !.

John

Update: 5/3/09

I've just picked up a pair of Hyperion Fine Tuning Rings from e.bay - the 14mm and the 28mm for half what the TV 2" skirt extension would have cost. Thanks for the suggestion John :lol:

John

Archived