Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Image issues.

So after much testing can anyone let me know if you’ve seen the below before. The image on the top is with or without any filters or flatteners with the scope cap off and yields the same results in all cases. The bottom image is the same test with the scope cap on. I’ve shone a light all the round the scope and cannot introduce light of any note when the cap is on. Scope is the skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro with 0.85 reducer and zwo asi533mc pro camera. Does anyonethink it could be an optical issue with the scope? It’s brand new!

2B872FDB-B86C-4C38-8F8A-ABA95C0E4F49.jpeg

E3184BED-2718-4D33-B98F-F3DF770964B9.jpeg

15 hours ago, Hoopla said:

The image on the top is with or without any filters or flatteners with the scope cap off and yields the same results in all cases.

What are you pointing at? It looks like you have dust/ smear marks on the lens or sensor.

Does the scope work as expected when used with an eyepiece rather than the camera connected?

I assume you have set the correct backfocus distance for the camera by using the correct number of spacers.

(spacer set is supplied with the 533).

without the spacers you may not have enough adjustment range in your focuser to be able to focus an image.

(I need 55mm with my 533)

Thank you both for the replies.

I will be putting my ASI120 onto the scope this eve and retesting but in essence yes I do have the correct backfocus and the issue occurs only when attached to the OTA seemingly.  I say seemingly as I need to reduce the exposure and retest the camera when off the OTA this eve too as the 10 second exposure I took last night produced a white screen only. 

40 minutes ago, Hoopla said:

I say seemingly as I need to reduce the exposure and retest the camera when off the OTA this eve too as the 10 second exposure I took last night produced a white screen only. 

Heads up - The camera on its own would not give you an image, just a blur. It needs a lens to focus an image onto its sensor. Some models come with a wide angle lens (like your ASI120). Not sure if you can repurpose that and put it into the 533? I think that the 533 does NOT come with its own lens.

Edited by AstroMuni