Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

telescope mount dolly’s uk

odyseus10

Greetings,

I have a Skywatcher EQ6-R pro and I would like an easier way of moving it around my garden.

I like the look of the JMI wheelie bars or the scope buddy but these are only available in the US :(

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives available to the UK?

cheers John

13 minutes ago, MarkRadice said:

You can always make one from 2x4 and castors and a tie-down strap.  I use a homemade trolley to wheel C11 on an EQ6 from garage to driveway so I can catch low-down Jupiter in the morning sky. 

Can you post a photo please ?

Here’s my home made version cut from old 2x4 and scrap boards. Not going to win any prizes but it carries a C11 and EQ6 from garage and back when the weather allows. The ratchet strap holds the scope down and the tripod feet are in predrilled holes above each wheel. 

I sometimes think I’ll make a more-gooder version but then it works fine so I don’t bother!

36F7DAD4-3B8E-4E9E-ACC5-5B386392120A.jpeg

1CDB564B-C7B7-4E39-A06F-FD9D62789D50.jpeg

1D368264-9CDA-49A8-991F-DF3AC7DBD5DE.jpeg

DC6F4D9C-DECB-4808-B5A3-9C59168A82BD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I did buy the ScopeBuggy but as I said postage was $180 (£130) and I got charged another £90 customs+VAT.

I didn’t know that HMRC charge Vat on the postage as well as the actual item you bought :(

That all being said, it’s a very nicely manufactured and well designed buggy and my EQ6R-Pro sits on it perfectly. I also got the battery tray for my Jackory 500.

I bought a MIG welder a while Bach, as it was something I wanted to learn and I don’t think it would be too hard to make a close copy (but smaller) for my AVX mount or light Tripod with Skywatcher GTI??

Just need some steel tubes, steel rod for axles and trolley wheels :)

I do like the Sky At Night Dolley but wood it quite hard to completely weather proof.

Edited by odyseus10

On 20/08/2021 at 13:34, odyseus10 said:

Well I did buy the ScopeBuggy but as I said postage was $180 (£130) and I got charged another £90 customs+VAT.

I didn’t know that HMRC charge Vat on the postage as well as the actual item you bought :(

That all being said, it’s a very nicely manufactured and well designed buggy and my EQ6R-Pro sits on it perfectly. I also got the battery tray for my Jackory 500.

I bought a MIG welder a while Bach, as it was something I wanted to learn and I don’t think it would be too hard to make a close copy (but smaller) for my AVX mount or light Tripod with Skywatcher GTI??

Just need some steel tubes, steel rod for axles and trolley wheels :)

I do like the Sky At Night Dolley but wood it quite hard to completely weather proof.

How do you adjust the scope buggy for height?

I'm presuming the scope buggy has no adjustment, it's the tripod that gets adjusted?

On 24/08/2021 at 14:41, Deadlake said:

How do you adjust the scope buggy for height?

I'm presuming the scope buggy has no adjustment, it's the tripod that gets adjusted?

The height is fixed but you can spread the rear axle (although they are not locked). You can also adjust the distance of the front wheel to the rear axle. I found that with my EQ6-R pro tripod fully extended, I could mount it on the dolly, so had to reduce each leg length by about 6 inches. 
The only issue I have is that I have it on the lawn and when you screw down the anchor bolts, they just drill into the lawn. So I need to either get some wood off cuts to put under them or 3D some sort of feet, to spread the load.

I was also advised the bend the long handle into a curve, otherwise it keeps falling onto the lawn…