NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nights are drawing in

JeremyS

It’s looks as if it’ll be another clear night tonight. I love this time of year, a month after the Solstice. I’ve noticed I could start imaging a few minutes earlier the past couple of nights. The nights are definitely starting to draw in 👍🏻

For me it’s another night of variable star photometry followed by visual observation of Saturn and Jupiter. All in my shirts and polo shirt.

Lots to look forward to 👍🏻

• Like 3

Hi Jeremy, late July to early September is the best observing time in my opinion. It is warm and the nights are getting darker. Somehow I also got so used to the gas giants being visible in summer, I almost cannot imagine Saturn in a freezing winter’s sky any more…

seeing Jupiter while wearing a polo shirt is definitely a favorite!

Edited by Froeng
  • Like 4

I will tell you that I cannot imagine a night without night (ie without darkness), here in Sardinia we are at an average latitude of 40º. Can you at least observe the Moon and planets?

• Like 2

Sure, bright objects are good to go already. The Moon and Jupiter are probably at least a bit enjoyable throughout summer but polar aligning will be impossible as no stars are visible. I am able to PA now but was not just 2 weeks ago.

I'm at 42N, so there's no midnight sun here, but night doesn't start until 2230 now and astro twilight begins about 0330, so observing time is limited.   Add some trees that obstruct my view to the west and southeast and the "good stuff" in Sgr and Sco can be difficult to observe.  I have better luck before dawn in late spring.

It's been clear, but now we have to deal with smoke plumes from wildfires in the West and Canada.  Pretty sunsets though if you like that sort of thing...  🤪