Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RisingCam in EKOS

wsteel33

Can anyone help.
I am using the RisingCam IMX571 camera and it uses the Touptek drivers in EKOS. It defaults to 8 bits per pixel in the settings but I am sure this is a 16 bit chip and I can see no way of changing this in the settings.
I am new to OSC dedicated cameras (using a Canon DSLR up until now). Am I misunderstanding something here?
Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Wayne

May have solved this myself.

The image setting was RGB.. when I changed this to RAW the bit depth changed to 16 bit 👍.

Hope this helps anyone else having similar issues if this is indeed the solution.

Cheers

Wayne

Edited by wsteel33
typo
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Sounds like it was set to output jpeg 8 bit. Let us know how you get on with this camera as they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the rest!

It was outputting .fit files and the data was looking good even at 8 bit.

The early signs are good, I will be giving a full run down of my experience in my earlier post below when I have some processed images.

9 minutes ago, wsteel33 said:

It was outputting .fit files and the data was looking good even at 8 bit.

The early signs are good, I will be giving a full run down of my experience in my earlier post below when I have some processed images.

Looking forward to your review. The mono version of the RisingCam IMX571 is almost £1k cheaper than equivalent offerings from ZWO and QHY. That's a massive saving. Even compared the Altair 26M which is basically the same unit, it is still a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 19:34, wsteel33 said:

May have solved this myself.

The image setting was RGB.. when I changed this to RAW the bit depth changed to 16 bit 👍.

Hope this helps anyone else having similar issues if this is indeed the solution.

Cheers

Wayne

So does that mean you're capturing in Raw rather than fits files?

I'd be interested in how these perform up against the bigger brands

On 24/07/2021 at 13:37, newbie alert said:

So does that mean you're capturing in Raw rather than fits files?

I'd be interested in how these perform up against the bigger brands

Shooting in RAW still produces FITS files, not sure what it does when I change the setting to RGB but if changes the bit depth to 8 bit.

I have my first image (Eastern Veil) with this image ready to process now. Initial thoughts will be on the other post soon but I can say that I think its money well spent and a bargain. I am new to dedicated astro-cams so still on a learning curve but no regrets as yet 👍