Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Skywatcher Virtuoso products

Stu

9 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

Is alignment done via SynScan in the normal way, to then switch to Sky Safari or can it all be done in the latter? 

From the Help text on SS6+, alignment is only available for Celestron WiFi telescopes, so for the Virtuoso you'll need to align in the SynScan app.

• Thanks 1

On 02/08/2021 at 17:34, Astro_Dad said:

I decided to follow through with this and now have the Virtuoso addition. I’m very impressed - the build quality and stability / smoothness of the Azimuth movement on my limited experience seems to very much improved. It just feels solid and has the correct amount of friction - maybe just the comparison between my specific units, but no complaints. F0382626-E8E0-497D-BDDA-29C7AC5A9F70.thumb.jpeg.416b0dc51df1728ba39ed3566fff0b1e.jpegYou lose the carrying handle but otherwise much gained in terms of the Syn Scan set up, tracking facility etc. I was concerned about too much extra weight, defeating the object of convenient grab and go system, but it it really isn’t noticeably heavier. The recommended mods are in place and now looking forward to trying some basic Astrophotography - Saturn looking good presently!

Clear Skies,

AD

Hey astrodad,

I like the shroud mod you have done. May I ask what materials you used and did you work to any template or just made it up as you made it? 

Thanks.

Sorry to go off topic ☺

• Thanks 1

On 24/08/2021 at 14:22, CKP_82 said:

Hey astrodad,

I like the shroud mod you have done. May I ask what materials you used and did you work to any template or just made it up as you made it? 

Thanks.

Sorry to go off topic ☺

Hi CKP_82 , 

I followed the mods described by Chris on the DIY Astro channel (currently “Astro La Vista”). 
It’s a simple black craft foam cut to a calculated size (56x36 cm approx). I bought a stick on Velcro reel (VELCRO Brand) to cut strips to size, securing the shroud.  I found it difficult to semi permanently leave in place so I just pull mine up from within the tube cylinder when needed. Works well. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

Hi CKP_82 , 

I followed the mods described by Chris on the DIY Astro channel (currently “Astro La Vista”). 
It’s a simple black craft foam cut to a calculated size (56x36 cm approx). I bought a stick on Velcro reel (VELCRO Brand) to cut strips to size, securing the shroud.  I found it difficult to semi permanently leave in place so I just pull mine up from within the tube cylinder when needed. Works well. 

Thanks for the link @Astro_Dad looks reasonably straight forward.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2021 at 17:34, Astro_Dad said:

I decided to follow through with this and now have the Virtuoso addition. I’m very impressed - the build quality and stability / smoothness of the Azimuth movement on my limited experience seems to very much improved. It just feels solid and has the correct amount of friction - maybe just the comparison between my specific units, but no complaints. F0382626-E8E0-497D-BDDA-29C7AC5A9F70.thumb.jpeg.416b0dc51df1728ba39ed3566fff0b1e.jpegYou lose the carrying handle but otherwise much gained in terms of the Syn Scan set up, tracking facility etc. I was concerned about too much extra weight, defeating the object of convenient grab and go system, but it it really isn’t noticeably heavier. The recommended mods are in place and now looking forward to trying some basic Astrophotography - Saturn looking good presently!

Clear Skies,

AD

Hi,  

New to the form and i've been looking at getting my first scope for observing planets and DSO's.  I wanted something i can easily store in the house and take out to the garden or a nearby darker spot when there is a clear night or even take in the car on our staycations - if i can squeeze it in between all the kids things. 

I was initially thinking about getting the Sky-Watcher Heritage 150P FlexTube but came across this online.  I haven't been able to find any reviews of it so wondering what your thoughts are @Astrodad now you've had it for a few months or from anyone else who has this scope.

Is it worth the extra cost over the standard 150P FlexTube or are there better options out there?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by going-supernova