NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lumicon UHC Gen 3

Are there any UK importers of the above? Note a very good price in the US currently, which including import duty works out OK? I might upgrade my Astronomik 0III to the Bandmate too, so could consider direct from the US? 

I have a 90s era Lumicon UHC that I rarely use.  I use my 90s era Lumicon OIII quite often.  Do you already have a premium OIII filter?  If not, I'd get one before a premium UHC.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1

Yes, I have an Astronomik 0III. I might just end up with the Nebustar as that is widely available. Such a small item in the post, who knows, though I do have a family member out in the US. 

The following filters perform almost identically in the scope:

Group 1

Astronomik UHC (post 2015)

TeleVue BandMate II Nebustar (2018+)

Lumicon UHC Gen.3. (2018+)

one that performs a little different, but which is also excellent: DGM NPB

Group 2

Astronomik O-III visual (2016+)

TeleVue BandMate II O-III (2018+)

Lumicon O-III Gen.3 (2018+)

If you have any of the ones in each group, you don't really need to switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

The following filters perform almost identically in the scope:

Group 1

Astronomik UHC (post 2015)

TeleVue BandMate II Nebustar (2018+)

Lumicon UHC Gen.3. (2018+)

one that performs a little different, but which is also excellent: DGM NPB

Group 2

Astronomik O-III visual (2016+)

TeleVue BandMate II O-III (2018+)

Lumicon O-III Gen.3 (2018+)

If you have any of the ones in each group, you don't really need to switch.

Thanks Don.

How can you tell which Gen Lumicon filter you own ?

Are there visual distinguishing marks for each generation ?

On 06/07/2021 at 10:37, John said:

Thanks Don.

How can you tell which Gen Lumicon filter you own ?

Are there visual distinguishing marks for each generation ?

No.  You can't tell unless you bought it new.

The first Lumicon filters had no labels on the filter, had rounded edges on the filter housing, and came in small square transparent blue boxes.  Livermore, CA. 1979-2001  They sold the seconds as "standard" and the decent ones as "premium".

The 2nd generation came in the blue boxes, and a clear version of the same box with a snap-shut and a black bottom.  Simi Valley, CA.  Some were unlabeled, some were labeled, but all had a slightly knurled lip. 2001-2012 (there were more than one version in this time)

The 3rd generation came in the same clear/black boxes and looked the same but you could see the coatings didn't extend quite to the edge of the filter.  Knurled lip on the filter. 2012-2016 Simi Valley CA.  

The 4th generation, for a very brief period, were Chinese-made and came in squarish boxes.  Rancho Cordova, CA

The 5th generation (actually more than the 5th generation--maybe the 9th--but called "Generation 3") come in a translucent plastic box with rounded corners (Rancho Cordova, CA  2016-now for the UHC and 2018-now for the O-III)

In tests, the 2005-2012 filters had the narrowest bandwidths and the 2018+ filters have the highest transmissions.

The Livermore CA ones are all failing due to oxidation by now.  I haven't seen that same deterioration in the later ones.

The first 3 were all individually tested.  Later ones only have a batch sample tested.

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Stardaze, I have bought all my Lumicon filters from AgenaAstro, excellent and fast service, highly recommended, found here: https://agenaastro.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lumicon uhc

I’ll keep an eye for when they have stock again. Works out cheaper than a nebustar still, thanks for the link.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stardaze said:

I’ll keep an eye for when they have stock again. Works out cheaper than a nebustar still, thanks for the link.

I presume you are after 2", very wise, I have always bought 2" as you can use them with 1.25" as well.  The price has really gone up since I bought mine three or four years ago. 

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 1