Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

guide scopes

I'm planning to add some guiding to my scope. I see that some of the guide scopes have fairly elaborate rigs for aligning the guide scope with the telescope. Some of the cheaper guide scopes don't seem to have anything like that.  They seem to be fixed. So the question is - is that alignment rig just a nice to have or is it essential? I'm more worried about weight than cost.

Cheers

Steve

It is not essential for the 2 to line up , (says the guy with the full adjustment rig) AS LONG AS your polar alignment is spot on.

Some more premium models (eg William Optics) have slot in guiders that dont adjust, but the precision is such that they align very well.

If you are using longer focal lengths on targets away from the plane of the milky way, it can be useful to be able to move across to find a guide star when the target itself is perhaps star free (like a dim DSO) for example.

By "star free" I mean free of a good bright star for the guidecam.

I agree with fifeskies. far better to have a guide scope mounted so it does not flex (remember we are talking arc seconds of movement here) so as long as its pointing near enough in the same place it will work ok.

Within reason and cost, try to avoid guidescopes that fit in the finder slot, that have adjustable rings, don't have provision for a screw-thread guidecam connection, instead of clamp screws.

Michael

Edited by michael8554

At one end of the scale is the use of a 9 x 50 finder converted to a guidescope using an entry level guide camera - cost circa £200 - £250.  Alignment is done using the two off set thumb screws in the standard SW bracket.  At the other end is something like an ST80 stacked on top of the main tube rings and supported in dual three point adjustment screws.  Both have advantages and disadvantages

It's not critical for the two scopes to be optically aligned..., but it helps IMO

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, just a quick question,

I've just acquired a ipolar for my SGP...I'm only using my 200mm + 135mm lenses, so do I really need to attach my guide scope & cam?

Thanks,

Mark :)

*sorry, what I'm getting at is with my set up is it worth having a guide scope/cam at all?*

Edited by callisto
change wording

23 hours ago, callisto said:

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, just a quick question,

I've just acquired a ipolar for my SGP...I'm only using my 200mm + 135mm lenses, so do I really need to attach my guide scope & cam?

Thanks,

Mark :)

*sorry, what I'm getting at is with my set up is it worth having a guide scope/cam at all?*

It really depends on the imaging scale rather than only the focal length. But assuming you're using a standard APS-C or FF DSLR with those two lenses, and your mount is well balanced with minimal backlash and fixed PE, guiding isn't necessary.

• Thanks 1