Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie Sun Ha Images 16 June

kirkster501

Be gentle with me, I am new to this ;)

Struggling a bit to get proms and disk from one image capture.  Bringing out the proms brings out murk in the background.  Need to keep working at it and reading up more.  Anyway mono and colorised from Lunt T60Ha and ASI174MM.

I don't like the images over sharpened, I have very gentle with any kind of sharpening.

Sun_RGB_16_6_21_Ha.thumb.jpg.a6921925cd718ecd4d3c9699139ecf37.jpgSun_BW_!6_6_21_Ha.thumb.jpg.dfef2e9c9b0027a4bc8c6e8e482d909c.jpg

• Like 11

Well done! Nice, even images. :thumbsup:

It is very difficult to capture both surface and proms because of their very different, relative brightness.
I believe the experts capture one image of each and then blend them together in post processing, laying one over the other.
It is only rarely that I see proms and surface detail simultaneously. It always needs much more gain to bring out the proms.
Which badly overexposes the surface detail. Making it appear plain white in a mono camera.

Edit: Your proms are certainly there but you final image wasn't bright enough to bring them out.

976397295_Sun_RGB_16_6_21_Ha.thumb.jpg.a6921925cd718ecd4d3c9699139ecf37pf.jpg.b74a1f36bce3fcf1345c63daa5eb541a.jpg

Here I have adjusted your image slightly to make it brighter and to increase the contrast.
The proms are now visible without drowning them in a brighter sky.

Image 2 is cropped for more scale and massaged a bit more aggressively.1344966367_Sun_RGB_16_6_21_Ha.thumb.jpg.a6921925cd718ecd4d3c9699139ecf37pf2.jpg.2d63e89ad597bc796260f977e16100e9.jpg

Edited by Rusted
Image + info
  • Like 2

Very nice.   

I tend to treat surface features and limb features as two separate exposures and  fudge  treat them independently in PS.   Lots of re-sizing and huffing and puffing later, I get a composite that hopefully shows the best of both frames together.

One thing I notice from your shot is the nice even surface you have on the Sun.   Having a PST I am battling with the 'sweet-spot' problem..... looks like your Lunt /174 rig gets around this.

Do all Lunts produce such smooth discs ??   It would be a 'must-have' for me when I come to upgrade.

Sean.

• Thanks 2

Wow thanks for the kind comments.

Wow Rusted, that has made a huge difference!

Ok, I tinkered with a longer exposure to bring out the proms.  The problem with doing that is that it then bloats the sun's disk so that it makes it hard to match the images when blending them.  Is there any rule of thumb as to what increase in exposure is needed for proms vs disk please?

Very nice... I quite like the muted originals (and what Rusted did to them as well), as they look like how I imagine the sun might appear from the porthole on my spaceship!

D