Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and saturn through my Dob

Kon

I woke up at 3am with my wife to have a look at Saturn and Jupiter using my 8" Dob. Viewing was quite stable relative to other mornings. I put in my Nikon D3200 on prime focus and I shot multiple shots at iso 400 and exposure 1/200 (Jupiter) and 1/100 (Saturn). I know people use barlows and cameras to shoot movies but since I am not into imaging I had a bit of fun stacking a 40 frames or so in Siril and some serious cropping to bring them into view. Quite pleased with the result. I should probably invest a T-ring to fit my DSLR in my x2 barlow. I  quite like the banding coming through Jupiter. I hope to try stack more frames in the future and maybe when it is a bit darker.

jupiter1.jpg

saturn1.jpg

• Like 11

These are great efforts, much better than my initial attempts at planetary imaging. Shooting movies will net you a lot more data in a shorter time frame. Siril can extract the frames from the AVI or SER movie and put them into a sequence, from there it stack those for you. Hope to see more once the darker skies return.

• Thanks 1