NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 6th June

Better seeing this morning. A few to go through. Quick and dirty process of a couple.

Orion 245mm F6.3 Newtonian (Antares secondary) SW EQ5 Deluxe mount. QHY 462C Camera. (16 bit RAW) 

Celestron Ultima 2x barlow

sat sgl.png 90.png

sgl.png 90.png 80.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 12

Out of interest, Jupiter is now 41.88" in diameter.

You were using about 3000mm of focal length with 2.9µm pixel size - which would make about 0.2"/px. Jupiter should be around 210px in your image - yet it is more like 385px in diameter.

Where does this discrepancy come from? Did you drizzle with x1.5 factor in AS!3 or is your barlow magnifying much more?

1 minute ago, vlaiv said:

Out of interest, Jupiter is now 41.88" in diameter.

You were using about 3000mm of focal length with 2.9µm pixel size - which would make about 0.2"/px. Jupiter should be around 210px in your image - yet it is more like 385px in diameter.

Where does this discrepancy come from? Did you drizzle with x1.5 factor in AS!3 or is your barlow magnifying much more?

Yes I am always experimenting up sizing then often down sizing a bit. i realize i was oversampled. No need to drizzle. But sometimes i find it affects the wavelets differently.  Other times i may resample then downsize a bit during post processing. Other times i may not resample at all. I just enjoy experimenting Vlaiv 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Very nice Neil, things are certainly getting better, atmosphere wise. Did you try getting an IR lum for Saturn? 

How is the EQ5 handling the big scope? 

Hi Craig no not tried IR yet, i have no filter wheel, so a lot of hassle integrating into a shot. The EQ5 Is being pushed above and beyond. Its payload is 9 kg for visual. im at about 11 kg for imaging so no it doesnt like it. The slightest breeze and its wobble time. Focusing is fun.

I see guys complaining a 8" is too much for it.  I need a NEQ6 Again really.  Still shooting in daylight, Things havent improved that much since i started 3 weeks ago. Just occasional good seeing and getting accustomed to it again, after 5 years away from the scope and any planets. 

52 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Definitely your best Jupiter so far, a very fine level of detail especially for those altitudes a the moment.

8 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Very nice Neil, things are certainly getting better, atmosphere wise. Did you try getting an IR lum for Saturn? 

How is the EQ5 handling the big scope? 

Hi Craig no not tried IR yet, i have no filter wheel, so a lot of hassle integrating into a shot. The EQ5 Is being pushed above and beyond. Its payload is 9 kg for visual. im at about 11 kg for imaging so no it doesnt like it. The slightest breeze and its wobble time. Focusing is fun.

I see guys complaining a 8" is too much for it.  I need a NEQ6 Again really.  Still shooting in daylight, Things havent improved that much since i started 3 weeks ago. Just occasional good seeing and getting accustomed to it again, after 5 years away from the scope and any planets. 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Thanks Pete enjoying my astronomy again after a 5 year hibernation.

Very good to hear Neil, I always try and remember its only a hobby.

You can have a break when you feel like it, the sky will always be waiting for you.