Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Moon Picture

Hello, 

I'm new to both Astronomy and Photography, In January I decided to purchase my first Telescope, a SW 150PDS with EQ5 Deluxe mount and also went for the enhanced dual axis motors. Although its not here yet due to Covid and supply issues i wanted to take a picture of the May super moon (unfortunately in the UK we didn't see the blood moon). so I got an old M42 lens on eBay cheap, a soligor 400mm @£30. 

The weather wasn't great I had cloud until about midnight when it was a little hazy. I thought it would make a good picture anyway as I could see the detail on the moon with a halo with my eyes. by the time I put the camera out it had actually almost completely cleared. my focus was a little off as it was hard to turn the focus ring while watching the live view on a wobbly camera tripod. I'm sure when I use just camera and lens on the EQ5 it will be more solid and shake less as I try and focus.

I only took 22 frames by the time the moon had moved behind trees and Converted them to TIFF in PIPP, Stacked them in Registax which chose 16 frames. to Process it I used GIMP but as a novice I'm not really sure how to use it properly. 

here is what I managed to get as a single frame and the finished Image. I was amazed at how much I got with out a mount and telescope and now soooooo eager to try again when it arrives after looking at other pictures on here taken with Telescopes. I will keep trying this 400mm lens because i have a 1.6 crop sensor Andromeda wont fit in 1 frame on the 150PDS so I plan to use the lens rather than a focal reducer to begin with. 

any tips and advice will be much appreciated especially with GIMP. 

IMG_9337.jpg

Moon Shot3.png

Edited by DannyST
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, DannyST said:

Also How do i add images inside my post rather than an attachment needing downloaded by those who want to see it?

Thanks

To add images directly they must first be converted to JPEG or better still PNG format first..

Alan

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DannyST said:

keep trying this 400mm lens

IMO, the best way to begin astro imaging. Add an equally economical Takumar or Zeiss 135mm to complete the outfit. Track on your eq5 for some spectacular images.

I'd put good money on you using the old lenses just as much, if not more than the 150;)

Great moon BTW.

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, alacant said:

IMO, the best way to begin astro imaging. Add an equally economical Takumar or Zeiss 135mm to complete the outfit. Track on your eq5 for some spectacular images.

I'd put good money on you using the old lenses just as much, if not more than the 150;)

Great moon BTW.

Cheers

Thanks, I tried to follow a YouTube tutorial but was lost with GIMP the video used PS and I couldn't find relative tools for some parts so just did what I could. 

I was amazed by the wavelets in registax, must be some little wizzards in there as what I did to the picture was magical. Brought out detail I couldn't see. 

I have a 200mm auto optimax I picked up for £11 and my eyes on another which is a 28mm under £10. 

Just waiting on my delivery and I'll be in my element with sturdy tracked mount. 

• Like 1