Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What cable etc to power an HEQ5 with synscan upgrade from the mains?

beamer3.6m

I have just installed an outside plug socket so I can now do away with the need for the Maplins powertank to power the mount.

My mount is standard HEQ5 which I have upgraded to Synscan.

What plug/adapter/cable etc etc do I need to run this from the mains. If possible could people provide links as if the answer is tip positive blah blah blah I have no idea what this means.

Cheers.

get a 12v transformer say 10 amp output or greater. This will enable you to run dew heaters etc off the same transformer. I got a 20amp switch mode supply with pole terminals (switch mode supplies run cooler and so don't get hot)http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Products/Electric+Flight/Chargers+and+Balancers/item1906?startPos=I then got a cigar lighter extension with 3 female sockets on the one end and a male at the other (Halfords about £7)http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/4302.htmI cut off the male end and connected the wires to the power supply. I then just plugged in the cable that came with synscan, the one that goes to the controller board with cigar lighter male end into the modified cigar lighter extension. Hope this helps, the synscan uses tip positive and requires 2 ampshttp://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=mounts_and_tripods/~pcategory=accessories/~product_id=08053;jsessionid=F1EEAB337A78D1DDF195EF9F7D839A56.ivprod2but don't blame me if you blow anything up :(

Sorry guys very confused.

3 options suggested but not sure of any of them.

Dark knight how would I use the cable I plug into the powertank - do you mean the cable I use to charge the powertank and if so will this cause damage to the mount.

I was assuming that I could just buy a plug which gives the correct voltage (whatever that is) and then plug that directly into the mount.

I dont really want to buy the PSU as sugegsted by Roy as these are expensive and kinda defeats the object of doing away with the powertank.

CONFUSED.

So can I not just plug it into the socket in the wall with an appropriate adapter plug which will reduce the voltage to the required level, like a mobile phone charger etc etc etc.

I small "charger" like that wont be able to supply the required power to the mount (my nokia spits out 5v 890mA). You *NEED* a power supply or bench supply to ensure that the mount doesnt misbehave due to a lack of power (12V 3A minimum!).

Ok, you already have a cable that goes between the mount and power tank. Instead of plugging into power tank, plug it into a 12v cigar lighter extension, the extension then connects to the power supply terminals, which in turn is plugged into the mains. The reason I do it this way is that the original power lead (the one to the power tank) is retained in it's original condition and so can be used with power tank, car cigar lighter socket or any other supply which has a 12v cigar socket. As said earlier I use a cigar lighter extension with 3 female sockets as the outputs meaning I can run additional 12v components from the same supply provided the total draw is no greater than the 20 amps supplied by the power supply. Of course there is a standard 12v Heq5 mains power supply available, but it only has enough amps to drive the mount, so dew heaters etc will require another power supply.

the thing is it gives up to 20amps, more than enough for mount and some dew heaters etc. the switch mode supplies also run much cooler and cleaner. As already mentioned I did it this way so I don't require lots of different power supplies for individual additional items. I can run my Synscan eq5 mount, Celestron 4 SLT and any dew heaters all from one power source with amps to spare. Also I only need one circuit breaker. I would imagine most of the people using observatories use some form of bench power supply, meaning less cables everywhere etc and also it means you only need to have one mains socket available.

So Dark Knight if I understand it:

The power tank is plugged into the wall socket

The normal lead which I run between the powertank and the mount is used as per normal, i.e. plugged into the mount and the power tank.

Is that right.

I dont need a cigarette lighter socket as the power tank has a cigarette socket on it and I only need to power the mount.

No, you cannot charge the power tank and use it at the same time. The idea is to omit the power tank altogether, just reuse the cable that goes from the mount, instead of plugging into the power tank, plug it into the cigar lighter extension which is in turn connected to the 12v bench power supply, which is plugged into the mains via a circuit breaker.

Archived