NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

MA8 18TH - NEW SUNSPOT AR2824

paulastro

Grabbed this single frame at around 2.30 this afternoon.  Taken at prime focus with  Tecnosky 102ED F7 with the Olympus E-M5  Mk11. The crop is of AR2824, and AR2822 can be seen going toward the W limb on the whole disc pic.  I've also added a link to a post  I made earlier about the new spot.

109576495_P5181623WholeDisc.thumb.jpg.97ab1c233ec05b3cf7139348ab72f8a6.jpg

881978245_P5181623AR2824.jpg.33bf2410ba16e29f8527f66d38042188.jpg

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/377439-ar2824-rotating-into-view-neptune-size-dark-core-flaring-activity/?tab=comments#comment-4088936

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Great shot Paul. Is that with a Wedge or Film, I can’t remember what you use. Looking promising, if we get some clear skies!

Hi Stu, many thanks.  I use a Baader Solar Film Filter I bought from FLO recently. Before this for some years I used a sheet of the same film held in place over the dew cap with three elastic bands, but decided the scope deserved an upgrade 😄.   A bit like a jam pit cover!

I figured three elastic bands were unlikely to fail all at the same time - in retrospect It wasn't a great idea and certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.  I was lucky it never failed me. 😏

I got out for just a few minutes. Did not want to let this spot go around the edge without seeing it.

It is very windy so viewing wasnt the best, still when it calmed the spot definitely stood out!

Took a few images, but haven't downloaded them yet.

What are we looking at, another couple years before we hit the peak of this active period?

• Like 1

It's extremely windy here today, which  means the odd cloud gap doesn't last at all long, but I managed to nip out with the little ST80 and full aperture Baader film filter for a brief look at the Sun around 2pm: saw the spot , put my borrowed UHC filter on the eyepiece ( as suggested by Stu in the upcoming eclipse thread ) and saw more detail  to the spot ( a couple of smaller subsidiary patches, and a less sharp boundary to the main spot) in the seconds before the clouds rolled back over.

Think I'm going to have to actually commit to buying the UHC now ....

Heather

• Like 1