SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Full EQStar Pro Review

I can’t comment on the Celestron ones I’m afraid. But I have a similar dilemma with adding a Goto capability to my old Vixen SP mount; there’s nothing else on the market. 

The more I play with the EqStar Pro, the more it reveals how good it is, apart from the awful noise. I’ve just tried it with Sky Safari Pro and it works a treat. 😃

I’ll  have to remember not to take it to Star Parties or I’ll be thrown out for disturbing the peace 😂

Edited by UKRoman
  • Like 2

I added a rowan belt mod to my old HEQ5 mainly to cut the noise down. For either the standard or rowan modded it was fine for just tracking but any fast slews were really noisy (more so pre-modded). Of course if you drop the slew speed down it is less of a noise problem and more of your patience waiting on the slew. I have also added a SW EQ5 goto pack to a Vixen mount and when I compared this with the HEQ5 (rowan modded) the HEQ5 was far quieter. The comparison was made more obvious when I was selling the Vixen & HEQ5 and ran both so the buyer could choose based on noise versus weight etc.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, UKRoman said:

Not sure this’ll be useful, but here is a video with sound, for reference. Even if the volume isn’t reproduced it might give an idea of the type of noise. Worth saying again, this isn’t a fault, it’s just the nature of stepper motors. 

IMG_8430.MOV 57.09 MB · 5 downloads

Mine is absolutely identical to this... sounds like it's faulty at first, until you realise that it works and this is "normal" 😬

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

I added a rowan belt mod to my old HEQ5 mainly to cut the noise down. For either the standard or rowan modded it was fine for just tracking but any fast slews were really noisy (more so pre-modded). Of course if you drop the slew speed down it is less of a noise problem and more of your patience waiting on the slew. I have also added a SW EQ5 goto pack to a Vixen mount and when I compared this with the HEQ5 (rowan modded) the HEQ5 was far quieter. The comparison was made more obvious when I was selling the Vixen & HEQ5 and ran both so the buyer could choose based on noise versus weight etc.

I think I’d be very happy if these stepper motors were only noisy during slewing. But the noise is actually worse when they’re idle.  🤔

Was the  Vixen mount you added the EQ5 kit to a GP or an SP? I couldn’t find any guidance on how to add it to an SP mount. 

Edited by UKRoman
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, UKRoman said:

I think I’d be very happy if these stepper motors were only noisy during slewing. But the noise is actually worse when they’re idle.  🤔

Was the  Vixen mount you added the EQ5 kit to a GP or an SP? I couldn’t find any guidance on how to add it to an SP mount. 

It was a GP model and I just followed the SW instructions for an EQ mount they were almost the same layout. But of course the Vixen was better build/quality🙂

• Like 2

Yeah I noticed that too. It’s the main reason I went for the Pro. I’m not sure if the actual difference between the two versions is in the motors or the control box. It’s very odd though; I’ve searched around and there seems to be mixed opinions on various forums about how intrusive the noise from these drives is. For me it’s unbearable after about 5 minutes. I’m wondering if that’s down to my ears and/or sample variation in the motors themselves, meaning that some people get much quieter drives.  I can say that my girlfriend isn’t as affected by it as much as me, but she suffers from quite bad tinnitus anyway and says that it’s a similar kind of sound and she’s just used to it. Interesting…..

Edited by UKRoman
  • Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 03:14, UKRoman said:

Yeah I noticed that too. It’s the main reason I went for the Pro. I’m not sure if the actual difference between the two versions is in the motors or the control box. It’s very odd though; I’ve searched around and there seems to be mixed opinions on various forums about how intrusive the noise from these drives is. For me it’s unbearable after about 5 minutes. I’m wondering if that’s down to my ears and/or sample variation in the motors themselves, meaning that some people get much quieter drives.  I can say that my girlfriend isn’t as affected by it as much as me, but she suffers from quite bad tinnitus anyway and says that it’s a similar kind of sound and she’s just used to it. Interesting…..

Is it high pitched? I watched a video of a guy reviewing it and when it was running it sounded like a moderate whine. I am sure it's a lot different in person, but from the video being cranked up it seemed less loud than I thought it would be. And why can't this be eliminated anyways? Considering it's mentioned the PRO version isn't as loud, it's obviously an issue.

I posted a video with sound in this thread a few posts back. When idling it sounds like a tea kettle boiling on a stove, accompanied with an underlying rumbling sound. When tracking, that sound is kind of overlaid with the sound of a washing machine as it rotates during the main wash cycle.

I've no idea why it can't be eliminated. Though I think it could probably be reduced by encasing each drive in some kind of enclosure, rather than just being shrink-wrapped.

It does work very well though. It's just loud and potentially annoying to some people (like me 😂).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UKRoman said:

I posted a video with sound in this thread a few posts back. When idling it sounds like a tea kettle boiling on a stove, accompanied with an underlying rumbling sound. When tracking, that sound is kind of overlaid with the sound of a washing machine as it rotates during the main wash cycle.

I've no idea why it can't be eliminated. Though I think it could probably be reduced by encasing each drive in some kind of enclosure, rather than just being shrink-wrapped.

It does work very well though. It's just loud and potentially annoying to some people (like me 😂).

Oh ya, I can't hear anything at work, I had forgot to listen to your post at home. I guess there is a niche enough market that they aren't going to dive into clearing that up. But then again they make each unit custom I believe? I wonder if some are louder than others, I didn't mind what I heard on the review. But they way you making it sound it's horrible... I guess at least it works well. lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Trippelforge said:

Oh ya, I can't hear anything at work, I had forgot to listen to your post at home. I guess there is a niche enough market that they aren't going to dive into clearing that up. But then again they make each unit custom I believe? I wonder if some are louder than others, I didn't mind what I heard on the review. But they way you making it sound it's horrible... I guess at least it works well. lol

Yes, it could be that the noise from the one I have is specific to the Vixen SP version and other versions or samples may be much quieter. For me it's pretty unbearable for visual astronomy, but is fine for Astrophotography as I'm not sat next to it most of the time 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

can't say I've ever noticed or been bothered by it. I mean, its outside.. at night. 5 feet away you can barely hear it.

stu

Mine is very audible at 5ft, and unfortunately, as I'm not imaging (visual only) then I'm much closer usually anyway 😬

As it happens, I'm going to get the motor drives for the AZ100 and use that primarily (or my iOptron AZ Mount Pro). Keep this for if I do decide to do any imaging 🤔

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Mine is very audible at 5ft, and unfortunately, as I'm not imaging (visual only) then I'm much closer usually anyway 😬

As it happens, I'm going to get the motor drives for the AZ100 and use that primarily (or my iOptron AZ Mount Pro). Keep this for if I do decide to do any imaging 🤔

Ya I think you probably just nailed home on how much the units vary. I wonder why they are so different? I just ordered one two days ago so I guess I will find out first hand. Luckily I only do AP so it won't be the end of the world. How long ago did you purchase yours? Just curious if Alex has improved it any. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Trippelforge said:

Ya I think you probably just nailed home on how much the units vary. I wonder why they are so different? I just ordered one two days ago so I guess I will find out first hand. Luckily I only do AP so it won't be the end of the world. How long ago did you purchase yours? Just curious if Alex has improved it any. 

I bought mine used about a year ago, but not sure how old the kit was then... it's in excellent condition, but just noisy 😬

As you say, not the end of the world and the mount is lovely 😁

• Like 1

I think sample variation must definitely play a big factor here. If I leave mine running in one of the attic rooms upstairs I can actually hear it quite clearly from downstairs, that’s two floors away 😱

In any case I’ve found a solution to my issues with the noise whilst doing visual work. I remembered I had some noise cancelling headphones sat in a cupboard that I haven’t used since my last airline flight (which was before Covid). It turns out the noise cancelling feature completely filters out the high pitched whining sound 👍 And as a bonus, they also keep my ears warm on cold nights 🔭😃👍

Edited by UKRoman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Trippelforge said:

I hope the drives work out for you. 👍 I can confirm the kit works great with the SynScan Pro App, SkySafari Pro and the ASI Pro. I haven’t managed to get it working with Stellarium yet, but that’s probably my fault and I need to give it more attention to sort it out. 

Keep us posted on your progress when it turns up 👍

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, UKRoman said:

In any case I’ve found a solution to my issues with the noise whilst doing visual work. I remembered I had some noise cancelling headphones sat in a cupboard that I haven’t used since my last airline flight (which was before Covid). It turns out the noise cancelling feature completely filters out the high pitched whining sound 👍 And as a bonus, they also keep my ears warm on cold nights 🔭😃👍

Great idea… I also have some over ear noise cancelling headphones… will give them a try and may even listen to some relaxing music whilst observing 🤔🤣

• Like 1

On 23/11/2022 at 16:18, UKRoman said:

I think sample variation must definitely play a big factor here. If I leave mine running in one of the attic rooms upstairs I can actually hear it quite clearly from downstairs, that’s two floors away 😱

I am outside with my son sharing the hobby so we will have to get pilot headsets to communicate. 😁

That is a good idea though if you want it peaceful, I can imagine as you said the ears stay pretty warm as well. I am crossing my fingers I get lucky like a few here and it's not screaming loud. But if it works well it's kind of the only option out there. 

EDIT: My unit is now in transit! I forgot all about needing a power supply though... lol

Edited by Trippelforge
update
  • Like 2

On 28/11/2022 at 13:13, Trippelforge said:

EDIT: My unit is now in transit! I forgot all about needing a power supply though... lol

I’ve been using a Celestron Powertank Pro with mine, which works great. 

Fingers crossed for you 👍👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UKRoman said:

I’ve been using a Celestron Powertank Pro with mine, which works great. 

Fingers crossed for you 👍👍

I will look that up, I noticed it requires a 12v / 3A unit. And it says 5.5mm / 2.1mm plug. That kind of confuses me as the unit only has one power connection. Does that mean that they usually come with an adapter?

21 hours ago, Trippelforge said:

I will look that up, I noticed it requires a 12v / 3A unit. And it says 5.5mm / 2.1mm plug. That kind of confuses me as the unit only has one power connection. Does that mean that they usually come with an adapter?

It doesn't come with a power supply or cable. I use a single cable between the Celestron Powertank Lithium Pro and the control box. The cable I use is like this: 

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lighter-Extension-Supply-Adapter/dp/B08F2D8TSS/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1GE1EG63S5Q4W&keywords=cigarette+lighter+to+5521+adapter&qid=1669975999&sprefix=cigarret+lighetr+to+5521+adapter%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-9

But you can use other connector types to connect to the battery end depending on your battery, as long as the control box end is a 5521 connector (5.5mm x 2.1mm) 👍

Edited by UKRoman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UKRoman said:

It doesn't come with a power supply or cable. I use a single cable between the Celestron Powertank Lithium Pro and the control box. The cable I use is like this: 

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lighter-Extension-Supply-Adapter/dp/B08F2D8TSS/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1GE1EG63S5Q4W&keywords=cigarette+lighter+to+5521+adapter&qid=1669975999&sprefix=cigarret+lighetr+to+5521+adapter%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-9

But you can use other connector types to connect to the battery end depending on your battery, as long as the control box end is a 5521 connector (5.5mm x 2.1mm) 👍

Oh OK so the 5.5 x 2.1 is just the over all dimensions of the plug (LxW). So as long as I buy one with that size plus 3A I should be fine? Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 13:26, Trippelforge said:

Oh OK so the 5.5 x 2.1 is just the over all dimensions of the plug (LxW). So as long as I buy one with that size plus 3A I should be fine? Thanks for the help!

Yes, that's it. Most cigarette style connectors tend be rated at 10A or more anyway from what I can determine, as they are designed to work with auto electrics. The 5.5mm refers to the diameter of the outside of the plug. The 2.1mm refers to the diameter of the central pin. 

Edited by UKRoman
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 28/11/2022 at 05:13, Trippelforge said:

You should receive that kit soon if you don’t already have it.  Please let us know your impression of the sounds that the stepper motors make when idling and slewing.  Because users report different levels of irritation with these tones, I suspect that there is a strong subjective aspect to this “noise” issue. 

To me the sounds are noticeable but not annoying.  If I even suspect that my neighbors can hear these steppers running then I will stock up on mercury and silver bullets and further limit my observations around the full moon!   🌔 🐺. 😉

Here is a software tip that may help you if you plan to control your mount with SkySafari.  This EQStarPro controller works fine with a smartphone or tablet but I suggest that you should use an Android tablet.  The reason why I am warning you away from iPhones, iPads, and Android smartphones did not exist a few months ago.  I make this suggestion despite the fact that, until recently, I lived in a pure Apple bubble of iOS and OSX bliss that barely tolerated Windows hardware and refused any contact with Android devices.  Because a recent software update for the SynScan and SynScan Pro apps broke their ability to connect with some non-Sky Watcher hardware, it became necessary to use an older version of the apps.  Using old versions of apps has become challenging because of intertwined mandatory updates for apps and operating system software.  On networked devices like cell phones and Internet ready tablets, avoiding mandatory updates is essentially impossible.  (Believe me, I have tried!)  

My refurbished Samsung A7 Lite tablet arrived the other day and it works like a champ. It only connects to my home WiFi when I allow it to and has very few apps installed.  The tablet is stuck on version 11 of the Android OS and I will probably leave it there.   I hope that this advice smooths your installation routine.  

For power, I use a TalentCell battery pack that I purchased on Amazon.  This compact LiFePO4 unit has three power outputs and an impressive capacity.  

C9CAAFFA-BB3B-4FF8-8747-BD642866855B.jpeg

5B5F67D3-FB78-47DD-99F2-739A248686DF.jpeg

7559A508-3B0A-4DD6-9BDC-03F78F0B09E5.jpeg

Edited by Celerondon
Typo
  • Like 1